• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk ID (1 Viewer)

NAL1212

This hawk was sitting on a pole March 20th 2006 about 10 miles north of Raymondsville Texas. At first I thought Red-tail ,but no belly band. Any ideas as to its ID would be appreciated.

Nal1212

Attachments

• P11104611.JPG
    P11104611.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 121
This appears to be an unusually pale Red-tailed Hawk. I could be wrong, as I have no experience with Swainson's Hawks, but I still think it is a Red-tail. Any more photos?

Agree with Neil - lacks the white face and the chestnut breast of a (light phase - which I assume is what we're talking here considering the pure white belly) Swainson's. Possibilities: Krider's Red-tailed and Short-tailed (extremely rare in region).

An older adult Buteo jamaicensis fuertesi, where you would expect it to be and looking like you would expect it to. The all dark head is of course the direct opposite of Krider's, and the very light rufous streaking on the body with a little darker streaking along the sides and near the white throat are expected for this primarily Mexican & Texan subspecies of Red-tailed Hawk, albeit on the light end of things in the actual belly area (unmarked is OK for this subspecies, but I do see multiple very light rufous streaks, and that is of course better). The similarly colored auriculars and supercilium stripe that while dark are somewhat lighter than the rest of the head, the very dark malar stripe, and the lack of a dark subterminal band on the tail are also what you look for in this subspecies, and shown well here. Nice Photo!

Last edited:
Thayeri said:
An older adult Buteo jamaicensis fuertesi, where you would expect it to be and looking like you would expect it to. The all dark head is of course the direct opposite of Krider's, and the very light rufous streaking on the body with a little darker streaking along the sides and near the white throat are expected for this primarily Mexican & Texan subspecies of Red-tailed Hawk, albeit on the light end of things in the actual belly area (unmarked is OK for this subspecies, but I do see multiple very light rufous streaks, and that is of course better). The similarly colored auriculars and supercilium stripe that while dark are somewhat lighter than the rest of the head, the very dark malar stripe, and the lack of a dark subterminal band on the tail are also what you look for in this subspecies, and shown well here. Nice Photo!

*Sigh* There I go shooting my mouth off about subspecies that I don't know enough about. I really need to get Wheeler's...

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back