• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk Migration Association Stone Mountain Site (1 Viewer)

mooreorless

Hello, I live close[4.6 miles] to the HMA Stone Mountain Hawkwatching Site in Pennsylvania and thought I would post some pictures I took while up there. I am only posting some pictures of the rough trail but not showing where you go in at and if anybody needs pictures of this PM me. First picture show platform, second view from platform to where you have to walk up,third looking from other side of 2 looking up, 4 some of trail , last one is my boy Hutch and part of the trail.
Regards,Steve

Attachments

• stone mt. hawkwatch site and trail 044 (Small).jpg
    stone mt. hawkwatch site and trail 044 (Small).jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 156
  • stone mt. hawkwatch site and trail 045 (Small).jpg
    stone mt. hawkwatch site and trail 045 (Small).jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 113
  • stone mt. hawkwatch site and trail 046 (Small).jpg
    stone mt. hawkwatch site and trail 046 (Small).jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 99
  • stone mt. hawkwatch site and trail 048 (Small).jpg
    stone mt. hawkwatch site and trail 048 (Small).jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 91
  • stone mt. hawkwatch site and trail 050 (Small).jpg
    stone mt. hawkwatch site and trail 050 (Small).jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Here are some more pictures of the trail, showing some of the worst spots etc.

Attachments

• stone mt. hawkwatch site and trail 050 (Small).jpg
    stone mt. hawkwatch site and trail 050 (Small).jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 106
  • stone mt. hawkwatch site and trail 054 (Small).jpg
    stone mt. hawkwatch site and trail 054 (Small).jpg
    104 KB · Views: 97
  • stone mt. hawkwatch site and trail 061 (Small).jpg
    stone mt. hawkwatch site and trail 061 (Small).jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 144
  • stone mt. hawkwatch site and trail 062 (Small).jpg
    stone mt. hawkwatch site and trail 062 (Small).jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 106
  • stone mt. hawkwatch site and trail 064 (Small).jpg
    stone mt. hawkwatch site and trail 064 (Small).jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 89
This is showing the end, this trail starts out not marked and doesn't really look like a trail at first. There are some easier places on this trail. The people that built the site platform did a great job and it had to be a hard job, they would have to carry every piece up to this site.I am in awe.Forgot to add the views 043 is Stone Valley side and 040 is Big Valley side and one showing that there was some people in the site, three Hawkwatchers.
Regards,Steve

Attachments

• stone mt. hawkwatch site and trail 066 (Small).jpg
    stone mt. hawkwatch site and trail 066 (Small).jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 95
  • stone mt. hawkwatch site and trail 039 (Small).jpg
    stone mt. hawkwatch site and trail 039 (Small).jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 91
  • stone mt. hawkwatch site and trail 043cropped #2 (Small).JPG
    stone mt. hawkwatch site and trail 043cropped #2 (Small).JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 98
  • stone mt. hawkwatch site and trail 040 (Small).jpg
    stone mt. hawkwatch site and trail 040 (Small).jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
I visited this site as a youngster "several" (OK, many, many) years ago. I can still remember the awe we felt watching the hawks fly over - and we didn't even have binoculars. Hope to visit again some day.

Hello Dave, I am glad I could bring back fond memories. Did you happen to visit Belleville on the Big Valley side? The road that goes by this site are not maintained in the winter, so travel at your own risk.:)
Regards,Steve

I haven't went up to this hawk watching site for a long time, but these are pictures of where this is located looking from my place 2.8 miles away as the Hawk flies.;) Used Celestron 80ED "spotter" prime focus and Pentax K100D Super camera.
Regards,Steve

Attachments

• 5-9-09  80ed dslr & lex 032 #1 (Small).jpg
    5-9-09 80ed dslr & lex 032 #1 (Small).jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 176
  • 5-9-09  80ed dslr & lex 032 cropped (Medium).jpg
    5-9-09 80ed dslr & lex 032 cropped (Medium).jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 406
Nice pictures Steve!

Picture #4 in thread #1 reminds me a bit of the trail going from the South lookout to the North lookout at Hawk Mountain. And picture #3 in thread #3 is reminiscent of the view from the South lookout.

Bob

Last edited:
Hi Bob, Thanks! Picture #4 on #1 thread shows an easier part of the trail. It gets rough in spots, a walking stick is a good idea. The other picture 3-3 shows Huntingdon side and if you look close there is a white building to the right of the pine tree, this is a church and look closer to the left of this church and "inside" the pine tree limbs is my place.:) This wasn't a very clear day. I was on the platform for a while with the three people that were there, there is a pole that they put an owl decoy on and a hawk came in an made one quick fly around this pole with the owl decoy while I was standing there. I found this quite exciting to see, it was over in a second. I have never been able to see this site from my place, the pine tree blocks the view enough. The people up there were friendly, but I got the impression they were more interested in watching for hawks and were glad to be left alone.:) I did tell them there was an older fellow back at the parking area and I think he was afraid to come up by himself, one of the fellows went down to help him. They thanked me for telling them. I told the fellow that I would help him and that I had never been there and he declined my help, I could understand.:) I added some more pictures the one shows a little better one through the pine tree and the other is my place from overlook
Regards,Steve

Attachments

• stone mt. hawkwatch site and trail 043.jpg
    stone mt. hawkwatch site and trail 043.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 194
  • 1401872-stone%20mountain%20to%20moore%20house%20008resize%202  cropped from st mt..jpg
    1401872-stone%20mountain%20to%20moore%20house%20008resize%202 cropped from st mt..jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back