• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hawk mountain (1 Viewer)

If you visit pennsylvania in the fall and like birds of prey a must place to go is hawk mountain sanctuary in eastern pa. It is a huge ravine where three valleys come together. The updrafts there let migrating birds fly and soar using little energy. In the early 1900's hunters use to go there and slaughter hawks by the thousands. A group of women I believe got together and bought the property and formed the sanctuary. It cost very little to access the trail but the scenery is awesome. They sometimes put a fake owl out on the cliff edge to attract sharp shinned hawks and other hawks, seems they don't like each other. there are narrators on the weekends and monthly tallies are kept on the numbers of various hawks seen.

Hi Gary

Yesterday I finished to read Keith Bildstein's book "Migrating Raptors of the World. Their Ecology and Conservation". In this book you can learn a lot of things about Hawk Mountain Sanctuary and several places like this in the World. Hawk Mountain must be a nice place indeed.

Regards

Jose

Hi Gary

Yesterday I finished to read Keith Bildstein's book "Migrating Raptors of the World. Their Ecology and Conservation". In this book you can learn a lot of things about Hawk Mountain Sanctuary and several places like this in the World. Hawk Mountain must be a nice place indeed.

Regards

Jose

Yes it is a beautiful place. The pictures they have posted in the park office of all the hawks dead from the hunting that took place is sickening. It was a great movement to buy this land and protect the hawks. I will be making a trip out there this year.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back