• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawks in Texas (USA) --- Need ID (1 Viewer)

new2birdingTX

I saw several hawks in north central texas (Lake Lewisville) and I am not sure if they are the same species. Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• Hawk.jpg
    Hawk.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 570
  • Hawk2.jpg
    Hawk2.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 762
The first photo is a Swainson's Hawk. Light Morph. Note the underwing pattern where front part of the underwing is lighter color than rear part and the long pointed wings overall and the dark bib under the chin and white throat. Second picture looks like a juvenile light morph Swainson's Hawk. Wingtips are slightly shorter than tail tip. See similar photo at plate 298 in Wheeler's RAPTORS of Western North America.
Good Birding,
Bob

Last edited:
I agree with Swainson's Hawk for the first photo. Second photo looks to be a first year Broad-winged Hawk. Wingtips are significantly shorter than the tail tip (would be the reverse with Swainson's), note also scallop shaped markings on the flanks, unbarred secondaries, and short thick legs.

Best,
Jim

First photo is Swainson's Hawk. Second photo might be something else - the wingtips are shorter than the tail. The beak and feet are large. Mostly snowy white underparts. The tail banding seems wider than Swainson's. I know it's out of range for this time of year, but did you consider a light, juvenile Ferruginous Hawk? When was the photo taken?

Just conjecture, Jim

Without a breeze, the feathers can lay flat to the leg as in this photo:
http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=193329

The range, habitat are less likely for a Broad-winged Hawk. Also, the large beak...

Jim

They can lie flat, but here the legs clearly appear to be bare (as Matt says). And if they were feathered, the feather coloration would be changing half-way down the leg (from white to yellowish)--which I don't see on photos or drawings. Head structure is wrong for Ferruginous also--the long gape is usually quite prominent, but cannot be seen in the photo. Llight phase Ferruginous also has a pale head, not the dark brown we see here.

Broadwings breed in Texas and according to ebird are now seen frequently in central Texas at this time of year. Ferruginous would be in the Dallas area only in Winter according to Wheeler's range maps.

Last edited:
I considered a Ferruginous Hawk but can't see the gape, or feathered tarsi, both of which should be obvious if it is one.

The tarsi seem too robust for a Broadwing. The barring shown on the flanks though makes one wonder although it also can be seen on some light morph Swainson's. See plates 306 and 308 of Wheeler cited above. I have no knowledge about the local terrain and if it is suitable for Broadwings which should be established in deciduous forest areas by now.

The length of the wings in relation to the tail is troubling. The wings should be longer if it is a Swainson's Hawk but Wheeler does note in several photos of perched Swainson's that the wing tips are somewhat shorter than the tail tip. See plates 298,299,313 and 314.

Maybe Matt was on to something when he mentioned a juv RTH. How about a Harlan's Hawk? They are in East Texas as far west as Austin. But should be up north by now. In fact there are 5 subspecies of RTH that get into Texas and all of them seem to get at least to the center of the state. The western Calurus covers the whole state. Two other possibilities are the eastern borealis and the southwestern fuertes.

Time to retire!:cat:
Bob

Last edited:
The tarsi seem too robust for a Broadwing.

Though it is a small hawk, Broad-winged Hawks actually have unusually thick legs for their size. So the thickness of the tarsi in the subject bird supports Broad-winged Hawk. Compare this photo: http://www.pbase.com/image/31311617

As for red-tail, that's a closer call than F. Hawk. But short wings, large eye and head relative to body, support BW over RTH.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
I'm sorry Jim and I hate to disagree with you but I just can't turn that bird into a BW. However you have been doing this way longer than I and are 47582374928347 times more experienced so I will back down :-O as you are most likely right :t:

[EDIT: Posting at the same time as Matt. (Rather ironic!)]

I may be wrong but I also see those feet/bill too big for a Broad-winged, shape also looks wrong to me. Wing length looks ok for many RTH, also colours can fit a pale individual I guess.

http://www.birdwatching-bliss.com/images/Red-tailed_hawk_juv_back_large.jpg

http://www.ellenmichaelsphotos.com/v/hawks_pale_+male/red-tailed_hawk_juvenile_1511.jpg.html

http://www.pbase.com/nsxbirder/image/82658608

You are starting to win me over to RTH. (Plus I have found Matt's instincts on raptors to be quite keen.). The feet and talons are quite big and long. But there is no hint of a white V on the back, and wings still look short to me. I'm not sure.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
[EDIT: Posting at the same time as Matt. (Rather ironic!)]

You are starting to win me over to RTH. (Plus I have found Matt's instincts on raptors to be quite keen.). The feet and talons are quite big and long. But there is no hint of a white V on the back, and wings still look short to me. I'm not sure.

Best,
Jim

Yes, ironic, and thanks Jim :-O I kind of thought this patch I circled was the white "V" but I realize now that it should be over more.

Attachments

• Hawk2.jpg
    Hawk2.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 165
I would say that the suggestion reach that it is a worn 2cy Red-tailed Hawk is the correct one!
Structurally + bill size + sturdy legs and feet alone would rule out both Red-shouldered and Broad-winged. Plumage - and the winglenght - fits Red-tailed.

JanJ

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back