• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hedgehogs in daylight (1 Viewer)

Niknakjamiemac

Hi, put this in Other Wildlife - should have used this one though!

What does it mean if you see your local hedgepig still up and around a few hours after dawn? He/she was moving quite freely and didn't look unhappy, but I am new to them and always thought it meant they were in trouble if you saw them in the day?

Also, we have been feeding them (we have two at least) the proper hedgehog food - the one that is advertised as food that no other animal will eat- but the blackbirds are getting it before we get up and take it in! Does anyone have any good ideas for food that only our hogs will enjoy? The birds have their own food, but they are enjoying the hogs grub and get up before me!

Hi, put this in Other Wildlife - should have used this one though!

What does it mean if you see your local hedgepig still up and around a few hours after dawn? He/she was moving quite freely and didn't look unhappy, but I am new to them and always thought it meant they were in trouble if you saw them in the day?

Also, we have been feeding them (we have two at least) the proper hedgehog food - the one that is advertised as food that no other animal will eat- but the blackbirds are getting it before we get up and take it in! Does anyone have any good ideas for food that only our hogs will enjoy? The birds have their own food, but they are enjoying the hogs grub and get up before me!

Hi. If your hog looks healthy I shouldn't worry about him being around just after dawn. Just keep your eye on him. Hedgehogs feast in the earlier part of the night and then have a top up often around dawn.
I've had a bother with ducks coming into the garden as they eat the special hog food I buy. Have you tried tinned cat or dog meat? (not in jelly or gravy though as that upsets them) Corned beef they may enjoy which your blackbird may not!

Hope this helps and good luck.

Nerine

Hi,

I've seen Little hog up at dawn (mind you it could have easily been Speedy or Large), but a couple of hours later he was gone. I shouldn't worry if it's around dawn and he looks healthy.

Nerine-should our hedgehog conversation be in this forum instead? Do we need to get it moved - it's so confusing! By the way-no sign of hoglets yet but I still have my fingers crossed! I'm currently having to out them extra food out as we have a regular magpie visiting and eating hogs food-I don't mind though so long as there's enough left for the hogs!

Kerry x

For the last couple of days a hedgehog has been in our garden at about 5pm. It looked ok, but was wondering around a bit. I put some food (dried hedghog food) and some water near it, and it found it and ate for about half an hour. Then it went to the bird water dish (not the new dish I put nar it) and had a long drink. Then it started searching around the bird table so I put some hullled sunflowers and peanuts and sultanas down, and it ate for ages again and had another drink.
Conclusion- one very hungry hedgehog possibly due to the very dry weather we have had recently.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back