• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello! Abandoned sparrow nestlings?? (1 Viewer)

breemcvee

Hello from Florida!

I need some advice and apoplogize if this is not the correct forum. I noticed a small gray brown bird going into a bush by our front door the other day. I peeked into the bush from behind where the leaves are thinner and saw a nest. My husband and I have been careful not to touch the bush or nest, though it is just a couple of feet from our door. Today, I could hear some faint chirping coming from the nest. I also found part of a small egg shell on the ground under the bush. It is grayish with brown speckles. After looking up Florida birds, I think the birds are House Sparrows based on the partial shell. I have not seen the mother in the nest at all. Is it possible she has abandoned it? How long can the babies survive? We just had a bad storm and the nest is ok but I didn't hear chirping. Should my husband and I take the babies to a vet in the morning? Or, do mother sparrows stay away from their nests for long periods of time? Please help. I'm so worried! Thank you!

Hi breemcvee and welcome to BirdForum.

Unfortunately, if they are House Sparrows, I seriously doubt that you will be able to get any vet/rehabber to help you as they are an introduced species and considered pests here in the US. At this stage, I seriously doubt you would be able to help them survive. A raw moment in nature but nature nonetheless. I do hope there is a good outcome to this both for you and the nestlings.

Good news! I went outside with a flashlight and peeked through the back of the bush. It took me a couple of tries and a step stool, but I saw mama in the nest! I was so happy! We'll hang back and let her do her thing. We'll be on the lookout for babies on the ground in the days to come. The neighbor's mangy cat roams the neighborhood so I'm worried it'll get them when they spend time on the ground after leaving the nest. At least that's the information I got on Google. Pests or not, they're still babies and I wouldn't want them to suffer.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits. Good to know that the sparrows are doing okay.

Hello and welcome to the forum. Glad to see that Mom was back on the nest. Hopefully, that cat won't get the babies when they start rummaging around. Maybe you could speak to the owner about keeping it in during this time of the year (all the time would be better, but still)

Hi breemcvee and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Please let us know how they get on.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back