• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello and Canon SX50 HS tutorial (1 Viewer)

This is my first spring birding in Victoria with my Fiancée. I signed up because I wanted to share my experience and lo-fi tutorial of the Canon SX50 HS.

Edit: I did find the canon forum and reposted there, thanks.

It's on youtube here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh3567vQQVY

Here is the description from the video
I describe my setup, from the way I carry the camera, to how I frame a hand-held shot at 1200mm (equiv), that will help you get the most out of your Canon SX50 HS. I also cover macro shots and focus bracketing.

REMEMBER! It is not easy to shoot hand-held at 1200mm (equiv) with any camera. Practice practice practice.

The SX50 is a wonderful naturalist's camera, for obvious reasons, and it is a popular choice among upgraders -- from point and shoots -- downgraders -- from SLRs.

I don't give all details, but I show you the features that you can find in the manual. I did pack a LOT of information into this video, so please use the pause button to try these things out on your own camera.

Here are the talking points in this video:
Carrying case / holster (00:59)
Custom settings dial positions C1 and C2 (1:50)

Set C1 for birds with the following options:
BIRDING SUMMARY: Use continuous shooting, shutter priority with JPEG, zoomed to 1200mm (equiv). Use the frame assist button and be ready to set the +/- EV and shutter speeds.

Use Tv for shutter speed priority (3:20)
Control shutter speed by turning dial (3:40)
Use continuous shooting (without AF) (4:13)
Shoot in JPEG for continuous shooting (4:30)
Use spot light metering / flexi zone auto focus box in middle. Also, how to focus/meter, then compose shot (5:00)
Note about not enough ambient light for a shot (5:35)
+/- EV Exposure compensation. Shooting dark birds on bright backgrounds (5:40)
Setting the right shutter speed for ambient light (6:42)
Setting the maximum ISO (I recommend 800) (7:09)
I quickly display all the other settings for C1 (7:30)

The MOST important feature:
Frame assist will help you find the bird in the frame. (8:20)

About megapixels, sensor size and low light performance (7:52)

Overview of Macro usage, on my C2 setting (9:25)
MACRO SUMMARY: Set the zoom to where it says 10cm, right before hitting 30cm, manual focus all the way out to 10cm, and focus bracketing. Save these to C2 and don't touch them when you take macro shots.

Focusing and composing tips. Keep macro subjects 10cm away to avoid distorted and shaded subject! (10:00)
Using Manual Focus (11:00)
Setting and about Focus Bracketing (11:50)
Setting the zoom correctly pt 2 (12:19)

Example photos (13:30)

Set quick settings feature to RAW / JPEG toggle (13:30)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back