• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from St Albans, England (1 Viewer)

Hi Julie,

I haven’t been birding anywhere. I’m a newbie to all this.

To give you some background, I’m a big animal lover and I love birds.

Where are the best places to go birding in England and what do I need as a starter kit? Presumable a good pair of binoculars, a quality flask and a few snacks?

Thanks,

Chipperoo

I do not know your area - someone local to you will help. Always a good pair of binoculars, I also have my note book to re cord sightings, a bottle of water and rucksack full of allsorts from lens wipes to mosquito repellent!

Hi Chip chip aroo and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi and welcome to BirdForum. Joining a local club could be an option. Usually have very friendly members who are happy to share their knowledge.

Rich

Hello Chipperoo,

You've actually got a pretty decent local birding area on your doorstep, though binoculars will help to unlock its secrets. St Albans Cathedral is home to a pair of Peregrine Falcons who successfully fledged a chick last year. There is a live webcam on the nest available on the cathedral's website and both birds can be seen daily on and around the building. Walking down the hill from the cathedral takes you to Verulamium Park where you can watch Grey Heron and Little Egret nest building, courting and squabbling on the islands. It is not unusual to see Red Kite, Buzzard, Sparrowhawk, Kestrel and Little Owl around the park. The lake hosts the usual British city fare along with Egyptian Geese, a pair of Great Crested Grebes, Little Grebes, and Common Pochard. Plenty of Canada goslings and Mallard ducklings will begin appearing soon. Chiffchaff are calling along the river and in Winter months you get fantastic views of Common Kingfisher.

Wondering around the cathedral grounds and Verulamium with binoculars will soon connect you to like-minded people.

Good luck!

There's a nice little reserve off Riverside Road formed out of old watercress beds that's worth a wander round.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back