• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello New member (1 Viewer)

stretch

Hello
New to the Forum and never joined a forum before so all new to me.

Look forward to using the information

Regards

Stretch

Welcome stretch.

Yep, this was my first forum when I joined too... Only posted 5000 odd times since then!!!

:t:

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have only just started Birdwatching again since being a young lad. Its called birding now. Can you point me in right direction of a good book to refresh my skills in identification. I have a birthday coming up and am looking for a present to ask the Missus for.

birdman said:
Welcome stretch.

Yep, this was my first forum when I joined too... Only posted 5000 odd times since then!!!

:t:

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have only just started Birdwatching again since being a young lad. Its called birding now. Can you point me in right direction of a good book to refresh my skills in identification. I have a birthday coming up and am looking for a present to ask the Missus for

Whoa... there's loads to choose from depending on just how much you want to spend, how you want to use it, and how "serious" you are.. but I guess you figured that!

I have 3 field guides, although in truth I use one much less often than others.

The one I use least is the Mitchell Beazley (I think written by Peter Hayman) I got when I joined the RSPB. They may still offer it, I don't know.

The two I use most are both Collins.

First the Collins Pocket Guide by Heinzel Fitter and Parslow (link... http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0002198940/qid=1126901116/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-0852576-5114861)
which I got about four or five years ago to replace it's predecessor.

The other is the Collins Bird Guide (link... http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0007113323/qid=1126901195/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i3_xgl/026-0852576-5114861)
which I also got free as it happens (when renewing my subscription to BirdWatching Magazine a couple of years back).

I use these in conjuction with each other, often taking both out with me - although usually only carrying one!

I think many members would suggest the latter is the better of the two, but they will also probably come up with their own suggestions.

You could also do a search on the forum, as there have been one or two discussions about the relative merits if a number of bird identification books, form pocket guides to the stonkingly good and arm-and-a-leg priced Lynx Edicions' Handbook of the Birds of the World. (HANDbook...Ha!!! :eek!:)

All the best... :t:

Hi Guys, I am also a new member. I live between the States and Arbroath in Scotland. Ex-truck driver now spening more time with photography and selling photo gear via Ebay UK. Looking forward to viewing some good pictures on the gallery on this site. Regards Ian (kerso).
stretch said:
Hello
New to the Forum and never joined a forum before so all new to me.

Look forward to using the information

Regards

Stretch

Hi Kerso...

Welcome to you also.

If you start a new thread, you'll get a few extra replies :t:

birdman said:
Whoa... there's loads to choose from depending on just how much you want to spend, how you want to use it, and how "serious" you are.. but I guess you figured that!

I have 3 field guides, although in truth I use one much less often than others.

The one I use least is the Mitchell Beazley (I think written by Peter Hayman) I got when I joined the RSPB. They may still offer it, I don't know.

The two I use most are both Collins.

First the Collins Pocket Guide by Heinzel Fitter and Parslow (link... http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0002198940/qid=1126901116/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-0852576-5114861)
which I got about four or five years ago to replace it's predecessor.

The other is the Collins Bird Guide (link... http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0007113323/qid=1126901195/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i3_xgl/026-0852576-5114861)
which I also got free as it happens (when renewing my subscription to BirdWatching Magazine a couple of years back).

I use these in conjuction with each other, often taking both out with me - although usually only carrying one!

I think many members would suggest the latter is the better of the two, but they will also probably come up with their own suggestions.

You could also do a search on the forum, as there have been one or two discussions about the relative merits if a number of bird identification books, form pocket guides to the stonkingly good and arm-and-a-leg priced Lynx Edicions' Handbook of the Birds of the World. (HANDbook...Ha!!! :eek!:)

All the best... :t:
Thanks

Hi there stretch and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We're glad you found us and we look forward to seeing more of you in the discussions.

Hi Stretch, Interesting username? Taunton in Somerset........They have some lovely scrumpy down there............Welcome stretch!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back