• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello warbler in Kerala (1 Viewer)

I just joined the forum and I am glad about it .I discovered this forum while searching the id of a warbler which was seen in Kerala, India on January first 2023. To me it looks like a Upchers Warbler. This warbler was larger and darker than the Sykes Warbler usually seen here.The pictures can be seen on ebird.org/checklist/S125290748. I am attaching a few pictures here too. Please help me in the identification of this warbler.
Thanks you

Attachments

• IMG_2830.png
    IMG_2830.png
    3 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2828.png
    IMG_2828.png
    527.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2827.jpeg
    IMG_2827.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1778.jpeg
    IMG_1778.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1777.jpeg
    IMG_1777.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1776.jpeg
    IMG_1776.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1775.jpeg
    IMG_1775.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1770.jpeg
    IMG_1770.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1774.jpeg
    IMG_1774.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1769.jpeg
    IMG_1769.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 48
Hi Jayan and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I've moved your post to the ID forum, where there's more people who are likely to be able to help you.

I hope we may be able to see some of your images in the Gallery here, you can upload 3 per day.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

I just joined the forum and I am glad about it .I discovered this forum while searching the id of a warbler which was seen in Kerala, India on January first 2023. To me it looks like a Upchers Warbler. This warbler was larger and darker than the Sykes Warbler usually seen here.The pictures can be seen on ebird.org/checklist/S125290748. I am attaching a few pictures here too. Please help me in the identification of this warbler.
Thanks you
Hello Jayan and welcome to Birdforum.

Your bird is an Iduna not a Hippolais warbler. Upcher's warbler can be readily eliminated by a combination of plumage tones, head and bill pattern and, structural detail. You have clearly misjudged its size-were any other birds present to enable a direct comparison?

Upcher's is grey-toned, thin whitish fringes may be still present, notably to tertials and secondaries and the tail is typically darker distally, the supercilium is short and thin terminating abruptly at the rear of the eye and lower mandible is always unmarked. Structurally, the bill is altogether heavier, the pp longer and the tail longer and fuller. Further, they often spread and wave their tails in a very distinctive way which can be captured in a sequence of images. Needless to say, no evidence in your captures.

As I remarked at the outset, your bird is an Iduna so, clearly a Sykes's or Booted. These images are not easy to assess, the bird largely obscured by bits of vegetation which, not only obstructs a clear view of the whole bird, it further creates shadow. There is no clear profile of the bill. This pair can be extremely difficult. On balance, I'd leave it as a Sykes's/Booted.

Grahame

Last edited:
Hello Grahame, thank you so much for your comments on my “ Upchers” Warbler. You have dwelled in depth on it and that has enlightened me. I had seen a lot of Iduna species last winter and I don’t know why this alone seemed different to me . I will ponder on it .
Thank you once again.
Jayan Thomas

Hello there, Greetings from Kerala, India.
I happened to see yet another Acrocephalus warbler this year in the month of February. It looks different from a Paddyfield Warbler. It has a long supercilium and streaks/flecks on the crown. Is it a Manchurian Reed Warbler ?
Thanking You,
Jayan Thomas

Attachments

• Manchurian Warbler 23-2-2-55.jpg
    Manchurian Warbler 23-2-2-55.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 22
  • Manchurian Warbler 23-2-2-56.jpg
    Manchurian Warbler 23-2-2-56.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Manchurian Warbler 23-2-2-57.jpg
    Manchurian Warbler 23-2-2-57.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Manchurian Warbler 23-2-2-58.jpg
    Manchurian Warbler 23-2-2-58.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 22
Hello there, Greetings from Kerala, India.
I happened to see yet another Acrocephalus warbler this year in the month of February. It looks different from a Paddyfield Warbler. It has a long supercilium and streaks/flecks on the crown. Is it a Manchurian Reed Warbler ?
Thanking You,
Jayan Thomas
It's a Paddyfield Jayan. Bill pattern, the black tip to the bill excludes Manchurian which displays an unmarked lower mandible. Face pattern is typical Paddyfield. Dark spotting to the crown is not a feature of either species so, maybe a result of feather alignment or shadow.

Personally, Manchurian would seem a very unlikely vagrant to the South Asia.

Grahame

Thank you Sir, for your identification of the Acrocephalus warbler. Paul Holt in his sighting of a Manchurian Reed Warbler in Beijing was saying that the bird he saw " has an almost speckled crown " . ( Wild Beijing, Manchurian Reed Warbler * Terry Townshend ). This confused me.
Thank you Sir once again. I have a few more warblers :)for id.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back