• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello (1 Viewer)

Tinpan

United Kingdom
Hi Birdforum & nice to meet you. All wildlife has always been a passion for me throughout my life, though I by no means consider myself an expert! I'm lucyk enough to spend my free time sailing around the Hamford backwaters of North Essex (Arthur Ransome's Swallows & Amazon territory) where there is an abundance of bird species & seals. On my last 2 trips I spotted a bird flying rather cumbersomely towards us & then land in the water next to us. Needless to say it didn't look like a species we are used to seeing in these waters so snapped some shots. I could only say that it looked like a flying penguin, so my assumption was it could be a winter plumage guillemot or juvenile razorbill. The flat muddy waters & banks of the Essex Coast are not the usual habitat though so surely I cannot be right?..... Pictures included so that someone can advise if I'm right.... please.

Attachments

• DSC_0077.jpg
    DSC_0077.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC_0084.jpg
    DSC_0084.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC_0818.jpg
    DSC_0818.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC_0088.jpg
    DSC_0088.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 45
Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

I'm going to move your thread to the Bird I D section of the Forum and you will be notified when someone posts their suggestions :)

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope that you enjoy your visits. I see you've got your IDs!

Hi Birdforum & nice to meet you. All wildlife has always been a passion for me throughout my life, though I by no means consider myself an expert! I'm lucyk enough to spend my free time sailing around the Hamford backwaters of North Essex (Arthur Ransome's Swallows & Amazon territory) where there is an abundance of bird species & seals. On my last 2 trips I spotted a bird flying rather cumbersomely towards us & then land in the water next to us. Needless to say it didn't look like a species we are used to seeing in these waters so snapped some shots. I could only say that it looked like a flying penguin, so my assumption was it could be a winter plumage guillemot or juvenile razorbill. The flat muddy waters & banks of the Essex Coast are not the usual habitat though so surely I cannot be right?..... Pictures included so that someone can advise if I'm right.... please.
Thanks all for you replies. Not sure what a Razorbill & Great Northern Diver were doing hanging around the Essex Coast on New Years Eve but it was wonderful to see something different. :)

Thanks all for you replies. Not sure what a Razorbill & Great Northern Diver were doing hanging around the Essex Coast on New Years Eve but it was wonderful to see something different. :)
Hi Whilst razorbills and great northern diver are both typically quite scarce in Essex they can be found at certain key sites throughout the winter. Great northern diver is fairly regular on the area - birds winter off mersea island and in the other river estuaries, occasionally seen offshore frinton and in hamford water (probably more regular at the latter given the lack of coverage of the deeper channels in winter), although red throated is commoner with many 100s offshore. Auks are surprisingly scarce off NE essex, previous aerial surveys suggesting they stay further offshore, whilst the wind farms may keep them out of sight from land. That said small numbers can be seen - guillemot is the commoner auk but both occur and can end up eg on horsey Wade at high tide. A razor was seen on the December webs count (boat based) which may have been the same bird you saw.
so both good birds worthy of reporting to the Essex birdwatching society (ebws.org.Uk) - or I can relay if you want to send a DM with dates. Good luck with your sailing and birding -

Hi Whilst razorbills and great northern diver are both typically quite scarce in Essex they can be found at certain key sites throughout the winter. Great northern diver is fairly regular on the area - birds winter off mersea island and in the other river estuaries, occasionally seen offshore frinton and in hamford water (probably more regular at the latter given the lack of coverage of the deeper channels in winter), although red throated is commoner with many 100s offshore. Auks are surprisingly scarce off NE essex, previous aerial surveys suggesting they stay further offshore, whilst the wind farms may keep them out of sight from land. That said small numbers can be seen - guillemot is the commoner auk but both occur and can end up eg on horsey Wade at high tide. A razor was seen on the December webs count (boat based) which may have been the same bird you saw.
so both good birds worthy of reporting to the Essex birdwatching society (ebws.org.Uk) - or I can relay if you want to send a DM with dates. Good luck with your sailing and birding -
Many thanks for this. I have reported to ebws which I shall probably now join! I feel very honoured to have seen & photographed both these birds in home turf.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back