• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help for ID; Colombia (1 Viewer)

Tapi45

Free as a bird
fotos 1, 2, 3 Reserva Natural El Dorado, Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta
fotos 4, 5, 6 Casa Mountain Birding, Sierra nevada de Santa Marta
foto 7 Finca La Florida, El Bosque de las Aves, Cauca

iden el dorado.jpgiden el dorado2.jpgiden el dorado12.jpgiden house2.jpgiden house3.jpgiden house4aaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpgiden la florida2 aaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

1Scaly-throated Foliage-gleaner
2Grey-throated Warbler
3Crowned Woodnymph
4Rusty Flowerpiercer
5Pale-breasted Thrush
6Bicolored Wren
7White-shouldered Antshrike

1Scaly-throated Foliage-gleaner
2Grey-throated Warbler
3Crowned Woodnymph
4Rusty Flowerpiercer
5Pale-breasted Thrush
6Bicolored Wren
7White-shouldered Antshrike
There are no Scaly-throatd Foliage-gleaner records in that area according to ebird
The same with White-shouldered Antshrike

Going by eBird taxonomy:
1. Montane Foliage-Gleaner
2. White-lored Warbler
3. Crowned Woodnymph
4. Rusty Flowerpiercer (although White-sided is possible in the area and the females of both species are pretty similar)
5. Pale-breasted Thrush
6. Bicolored Wren
7. Hard to tell, the lack of a tail could indicate a young bird. If it is a young Antshrike, then the option for the area would be Uniform Antshrike, but get a second opinion.

Going by eBird taxonomy:
2. White-lored Warbler
4. Rusty Flowerpiercer (although White-sided is possible in the area and the females of both species are pretty similar)
2. Not seeing white lores or whitish arc above the eye. Suggest grey-throated better (but rare)
4 contrary to my field guide, I agree this is rusty. The white flight feather fringes are distinctive, I think.

2. Not seeing white lores or whitish arc above the eye. Suggest grey-throated better (but rare)
Gray-throated is not found in the Santa Marta mountains, the nearest site is in the Colombia/Venezuela border in Perija.

The white lore is there, just that the picture is a bit shaky and not the best lighting conditions.

If the poster uploads it to eBird as Gray-throated from that location, the regional reviewer will likely say the same. They are in the same genus, but one is a common endemic of the area, while the other is found in a different mountain/sierra, where it is considered an uncommon species.

Gray-throated is not found in the Santa Marta mountains, the nearest site is in the Colombia/Venezuela border in Perija.

The white lore is there, just that the picture is a bit shaky and not the best lighting conditions.

If the poster uploads it to eBird as Gray-throated from that location, the regional reviewer will likely say the same. They are in the same genus, but one is a common endemic of the area, while the other is found in a different mountain/sierra, where it is considered an uncommon species.
Yes: sorry I misinterpreted the map in my guide.

1. Montane Foliage-gleaner
2. White-lored Warbler - in addition to the range discrepancy, Grey-throated has a grey hood that extends further down the chest
3. male Crowned Woodnymph
4. female Rusty Flowerpiercer - pale base to lower mandible and white (-ish) edgeing on tertials and wing coverts
5. Pale-breasted Thrush
6. Bicolored Wren
7. female White-sided Flowerpiercer - I think the angle of the photo is obscuring the actual bill shape, otherwise plain brown small bird in their favourite flowers

Avery

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back