• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help identifying...Kinder Scout, Peak District Derbys (1 Viewer)

Hello, can anyone help me Id a bird I saw last week please? Habitat...by a narrow brook running off North Country hill/moorland. Size...Bigger than a sparrow, but seemed smaller than a starling. Coloration....Drab. Brown upper parts, looked grey beneath, no sign of any white patches, neck rings etc. Voice...VERY DISTINCTIVE. Like two stones or marbles 'clacking' together.
Best Regards, Andrew.

Hello, can anyone help me Id a bird I saw last week please? Habitat...by a narrow brook running off North Country hill/moorland. Size...Bigger than a sparrow, but seemed smaller than a starling. Coloration....Drab. Brown upper parts, looked grey beneath, no sign of any white patches, neck rings etc. Voice...VERY DISTINCTIVE. Like two stones or marbles 'clacking' together.
Best Regards, Andrew.
Check stonechat at (e.g.) xeno canto:

European Stonechat (Saxicola rubicola) :: xeno-canto

Or ebird:

https://ebird.org/species/stonec4

Yes I think you're right, I'd looked up stone hats, and they are much more colourful, but this could have been a juvenile, they are more drab. So,is this clacking noise a common voicing of stonechats?

You may also have seen a Meadow Pipit (by far the commonest small bird in any moorland habitat in England) and heard a Stonechat at the same time...

Female Northern Wheatear fits the description too. If it was a plain unstreaked bird calling from the ground or a rock, that's perhaps a better bet. A streaky brown bird calling from a perch is more likely to be a Stonechat.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back