• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help IDing bird flying over Manchester UK (1 Viewer)

andrewslack

Hello, I may be missing something mundane, but I have been unable to identify this bird I saw flying over Highfield Country Park in Levenshulme (Manchester, UK) on the 4th December. It was quite high, high enough that with the naked eye I didn't spot it as anything unusual, and would probably have assumed it was a starling without the photos - the photos are cropped from shots taken with a Panasonic FZ200 at maximum focal length on 12fps burst, so the 3 shots represent a single wingbeat I believe, if that helps anyone.

I initially thought maybe it was a jay, but looking closer it just doesn't look right. The stripe looks to be through the eye/higher on the head than a jay, the beak isn't right. The eye-stripe and beak make me think nuthatch, but I cannot find any photos of a nuthatch in high straight flight to compare, and I've only ever seen them flitting around between trees, also, the tail and body seem rather long for a nuthatch. If you adjust the highlight/shadow levels in photoshop it looks yellow in the first picture, but the third picture it looks like it has a brown speckling on its breast.

I vaguely wondered about a wheatear, but never having seen one I'm doubtful. Also considered woodpeckers but wrong colouring/patterns as far as I can tell.

I'm not good on birds in flight, so it's probably something really mundane, but I would appreciate any thoughts.

Attaching files is not working, so I have posted them on my skydrive in a folder at http://sdrv.ms/19Q7NXd - the files are called 1.jpg, 2.jpg and 3.jpg

thanks in advance

Andrew

Thanks I think you're right

Never been to the U.K but I believe that is a Fieldfare.

Second and third opinions gratefully received, but that looks good to me. I was thrown by the apparent strength of the eye stripe, but the photos aren't very good, and it's against a bright sky. We certainly get fieldfares in the area.

That's my local park, Fieldfare is a good sighting there as I've never seen one there (or indeed in Manchester, I think) - Redwings by the dozen in winter, and lots of Jays all year round, but I'd assumed Fieldfares were not at all regular in this area... (definitely is one in the photos though!)

Steve, in the 70's I used to get a few Fieldfares every winter in Alexandra Park - my local patch when I was a boy birder. The pond was good for some duck and every spring I would find Wood Warbler singing in early May on passage - and I think a few pairs of Spotted Flycatchers nested there - time have changed I imagines - no more breeding Grasshopper Warblers on Chorlton Meadows I bet either?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back