• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help Please, Flycatcher, Southeastern Arizona, USA (1 Viewer)

Lisa W

I really need to get out and bird more
Staff member
Supporter
United States
Once again, this is probably an easy one, but I can't figure it out. First two are definitely the same bird, the third I'm pretty sure is a different bird - but could be the same just moved. Photos were taken today, May 30, 2008, in Garden Canyon on Fort Huachuca in Southeast Arizona.
Thanks,
Lisa

Attachments

• unknown flycatcher1 Garden Canyon May 30 2008.jpg
    unknown flycatcher1 Garden Canyon May 30 2008.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 120
  • unknown flycatcher2 Garden Canyon May 30 2008.jpg
    unknown flycatcher2 Garden Canyon May 30 2008.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 118
  • unknown flycatcher3 Garden Canyon May 30 2008.jpg
    unknown flycatcher3 Garden Canyon May 30 2008.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 145
I'm admittedly poor with flycatchers, but I dont see why it couldnt be a Gray Flycatcher. Overall its a low contrast bird, has the pale lower mandible, and comparatively short primary projections, plus the wing bars are faint, although that could be an effect of the photo...

*Reapproaching the Contopus/Empidonax world, our hero gulps with nervous anticipation*

Contrary to Brandon, I see decent primary projection. To me, these seem to be Western Wood-Pewees, not Empids.

In an exceptionally political move, I retract my previous statement. I'd never seen a Western Wood-Pewee with quite so much yellow in its bill. But after looking at some pictures online the structure is definitely wrong for an empid, and the amount of yellow in the lower mandible seems variable. So Western Wood-Pewee would make sense.

Definitely a wood-pewee, but I think the structure and size is more like that of a Greater Pewee. I've seen them in Fort Huachuca. Check out that large bill.

Definitely a wood-pewee, but I think the structure and size is more like that of a Greater Pewee. I've seen them in Fort Huachuca. Check out that large bill.

Ack! Well I won the battle and lost the war! 8-P Stupidly, I wasn't even thinking about misID within Contopus. You mention bill length, extend of pale lower mandible, and I'll add that the crest and the notched tail both seem significant. Agree with Greater Pewee (which I've also seen in Fort Huachuca!).

Before looking at the comments, I decided on Greater Pewee, so I agree with what appears to be the ultimate consensus here. Pete Dunne says regarding Greater Pewee the "peaked and slightly wispy crest is often conspicuous (easily distinguishing the bird from Western Wood-Pewee)". Note also the very long body.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
Thank you gentlemen! Makes perfect sense now that the marks have been pointed out. I need to get into the mountains more often!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back