• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help to tick Spanish Sparrow and Spectacled Warb in Tenerife (1 Viewer)

B Whyte

Scotland
Hello i have one day left in Tenerife and would love to tick off the so far elusive Spanish Sparrow.

Tomorrow i am planning another visit around the large pools at Golf del Sur and was going to walk along the path that goes into the scrub land to the West of Amarilla Golf as well. Here i was hoping for Spec Warb also.

Are these good sites for the above or if you have better more reliable areas around the Airport in the South that would be great.

I assume you've had a look at eBird but on the off chance you've not, eBird is pretty widely used in Spain and by vacationing birders in the Canaries, lots of recent sighting locations available there (with the caveat that the points are frequently not pinpoint accurate of course).

Here is a cut and paste from the relevant part of my 2015 trip report:

"I then headed for the lusher areas around the golf courses to the east. The parts of the water feature at Golf del Sur that can be seen from the road held numerous Muscovy Duck as part of the collection plus one Fulvous Whistling Duck & a Bar-headed Goose! Wild species were restricted to one each of Moorhen & Little Egret. A walk through the scrub along the northern boundary fence of the course produced: a Spotted Flycatcher sallying out from a palm tree; a nice male Spectacled Warbler in the shrubs; Spanish Sparrow & C. I. Chiffchaff in the trees on the course & a small group of Grey-headed Wagtail (thunbergi) on one of the greens. The pool on the access road to Amarilla Golf had a couple of Spoonbill perched up on some pipes."

Good luck.

I did scour ebird and checked some sites today but still no SS on my life list...hey ho got a lovely male Spectacled Warbler after some hard yards in the blazing heat around the scrub area to the west of Amarilla golf

Last edited:
Here is a cut and paste from the relevant part of my 2015 trip report:

"I then headed for the lusher areas around the golf courses to the east. The parts of the water feature at Golf del Sur that can be seen from the road held numerous Muscovy Duck as part of the collection plus one Fulvous Whistling Duck & a Bar-headed Goose! Wild species were restricted to one each of Moorhen & Little Egret. A walk through the scrub along the northern boundary fence of the course produced: a Spotted Flycatcher sallying out from a palm tree; a nice male Spectacled Warbler in the shrubs; Spanish Sparrow & C. I. Chiffchaff in the trees on the course & a small group of Grey-headed Wagtail (thunbergi) on one of the greens. The pool on the access road to Amarilla Golf had a couple of Spoonbill perched up on some pipes."

Good luck.
thanks for the info foresttwichter....i went back to Gold del sur but only the pools opposite the info centre. I should have probably spent more time and walk more paths around this course but i didn't expect Spanish Sparrow to be so elusive to be honest.

Probably easier just around houses and gardens?
I thought similiar so i had a good walk around the urban areas where i was staying and visited a few different towns in more rural places and still could not turn one up. There was a pile of seed in once place that the Collared Doves were feasting on and i thought surely this will attract a sparrow but no. Even on a trip to Valencia back in 2019 didn't have one. A real bogey bird but one day haha

Not usually so difficult, I guess on some future trip you'll see your first one and then in 10 minutes be calling it a trash bird :)

Hello i have one day left in Tenerife and would love to tick off the so far elusive Spanish Sparrow.

Tomorrow i am planning another visit around the large pools at Golf del Sur and was going to walk along the path that goes into the scrub land to the West of Amarilla Golf as well. Here i was hoping for Spec Warb also.

Are these good sites for the above or if you have better more reliable areas around the Airport in the South that would be great.

We had lots of them around the beach cafes at costa adeje also in the trees around our apartment complex (also costa adeje). Not much use but in lanzarote we had them from the airport transfer bus and Iā€™m sure a similarly slow and high bus trip in Tenerife would get them

We had lots of them around the beach cafes at costa adeje also in the trees around our apartment complex (also costa adeje). Not much use but in lanzarote we had them from the airport transfer bus and Iā€™m sure a similarly slow and high bus trip in Tenerife would get them
mate thats a sickner thats where i was staying costa adeje....tried round the hotel, down the promenade north and south to playa las americas. Took a walk around the main drag up the top and into all these side paths with lots of trees and scrub but nada

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back