• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with birds in flight, Leicester UK (1 Viewer)

astley

Hi All

see if you can help us out here.

Was on the way out with my 10 year old yesterday, and were driving alongside farmland where most of the crops had been harvested.

Flying alongside the car was a flock of 30 or so birds, first impression was Starling, however when I glanced again (driving) they were very slightly smaller than a starling, and appeared lighter

The flock were not tight there were gaps of a few feet between the birds, and the key thing was they had an undulating flight just like a woodpecker, sort of flap, flap, glide.

My son said they were a lightish brown, and some appeared to have a very small fork in the tail ( I did not notice)

After flying alongside for some time they dropped into a ploughed field.

Any suggestions

I thought they were a bit big for linnet, as mentioned they were almost starling size but the flight pattern was different.

Had not thought of Skylarks as only ever seen them in singles

Thanks

Sounds like linnets to me. I had a similar question about a year ago, a large swooping (twittering) flock of birds lifting from the fields and keeping very much together. Got the advice they could be linnets, and confirmed it a few days later with a bit more patience!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back