• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with Black-throated Sparrows, California (1 Viewer)

RJW

I photographed some Black-throated Sparrows (Amphispiza bilineata) yesterday in the Anza Borrego Desert State Park, in San Diego Co., California. Some had odd white patches where black is normally seen in an adult. There were juveniles present, and I presume maybe the oddly marked ones might be juveniles molting into adult plumage, but it seems early for that - it is only July and the literature says typically this species retains its juvenile plumage until around October.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Attachments

• Black-throated Sparrow2 copy 2.jpg
    Black-throated Sparrow2 copy 2.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Black-throated Sparrow1 copy 3.jpg
    Black-throated Sparrow1 copy 3.jpg
    848.8 KB · Views: 23
Hello and welcome to Birdforum. I am not sure, but I think your birds are probably adults that are molting. They look similar year 'round, but they do change feathers in the Fall, and for these hot desert birds Fall probably comes early.

Hello and welcome to Birdforum. I am not sure, but I think your birds are probably adults that are molting. They look similar year 'round, but they do change feathers in the Fall, and for these hot desert birds Fall probably comes early.

I agree. . ..

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back