• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with GoPro Hero 9 and Rode VideoMic Pro Setup (2 Viewers)

Hello, its my first post here

I will suspect many of you will cringe with the setup i have just described but i look forward to some help.

I want to record walks in nature which would include bird sounds and other ambient sounds, therefore my setup needs to be mobile
I am just trying to make the most of the equipment that available to me at the moment in the hope that i can configure the settings optimally both during filming and later in post editing in DaVinci Resolve or Audacity.

I was informed to try to record using +20db on the Mic as well as using the Go Pro Line In Mode on the Jack but this still results in some awful floor noise which i cant remove in post much to my disappointment, i wondered if i had boosted too much for example or should be using Powered Mic input.

I am aware that the audio recording on the Go Pro is very poor but was informed that the use of the Line in would bypass some of that esp with auto gain and compression.

I have looked at Zoom Recorder (or similar) Binaural Mics and Maybe Djis Mic but as said i feel i want to try and get our what i can first from my current setup as i feel i should be able to get some reasonably good sound recording from the Rode for the level of quality I want to achieve at this moment in time.

Hi Frazeradventures!
Nothing wrong with using the stuff you already have! No cringe!

I never use a Go pro as I only record sound, but I will try some answer to the best of my ability. I think your problem is not the devices you're using but what you are trying to record. Recording nature sound, bird and other low noise is harder then recording voice. The floor noise take more place and is harder to reduce.

I just listen to a recording with the rode mic on youtube with voice and the sound is not bad! However the mic seems to be very directional. If you want to record ambient sound, this will affect the 'feeling' of the sound.

You should try to reduce the gain to the maximum (forget the +20 db). I am not sure what you mean by ''using Powered mic input'' as I'm not sure the Go pro can power a mic and I don't think the video mic pro require power (the video mic pro plus seems to require it) but generally, if your device can supply power, it's less noisy than if you use the battery of a mic.

For light Noise reduction, I have best result in Ocenaudio than Audacity.

And finally, you have to accept some noise. It had a hard time accepting that when I started. Everything make noise. If you are near (or event far from) a road, you will catch some car sound. If you are near a river, with your kind of directional mic, it will maybe sound like a bit like floor noise. If it's windy outside, it will make noise!

Hope I help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back