• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rode Wireless Pro (1 Viewer)

Jon.Bryant

Has anyone tried the new Rode Wireless Pro for bird sounds, and if so how does it perform?

I am thinking here of close mic work (either setting up at a known song post, or suck it and see recordings - place and hope!). Obviously the system wouldn’t be great for hand carrying and would be pretty awkward to use if you tried to use the transmitter as a 32 bit float recorder for a shotgun or parabola (although I understand you can set to record automatically on the transmitter on power up).

Not sure how good the sync would be and whether the 32 bit float recordings can be easily stitched together as a stereo recording, or whether you have to rely on the transmitted signal and record in stereo on you phone.

Not sure if the system noise levels are system dependent or all to do with the inbuilt mics. You can plug in mics and I presume this could include mics like the ME64, with lower noise and their own power module.

It could also be interesting for playback experiments - Remote mic, broadcasting and recorded on your mobile then played back through a Bluetooth speaker.

As you get 2 32bit float fall back recordings (one on each transmitter), it seems fairly reasonably priced.

Made the plunge and bought one, which I will trial this spring.

At home it works well with PiP and self powered mics (eg Senheisser ME64 or 67).

Playback options seem to work in a home trial - you can collect an input from a remote mic (through the lightning input on an iPhone) and then play back the recording to a remote Bluetooth speaker. So in theory, if you can get the mic and speaker in the correct positions, you can stand remote and playback the birds own song to it.

32 bit float emergency recordings and master recordings seem good, but obviously are better if you use an external low noise mc, instead of the built-in lavalier in the transmitter.

Need to test for drop off and interference on the wireless connection, but on tests so far in seems strong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back