• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with ID needed (1 Viewer)

Dingoblu

Got a quick pic of this bird that was perched on top of my feeder, and I've had no luck getting a positive ID on it. Some possibles I've been given are Female Shiny Cowbird and Brewers Blackbird.

Can anyone help me out with a definate on this? Thanks!

Attachments

• graybird.jpg
    graybird.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 193
Looks like the Brewer's fledges we have in the yard right now: pale eye, pale throat and upper chest, drab brown overall with a bit of blackish just starting to come in, with a still "fluffy" look to their plumage. I.e., just like the bird here! :t: I noticed in our fledges as well as in the photo, the beak seems to look heavier than it will as an adult. Whether this is actually the case or just some kind of optical illusion, I don't know.

EDIT: Just realized you're from northern NY. Don't know if Brewer's are as common there as Rusty Blackbird, but in all honesty, your bird doesn't look like a Rusty juvie to me.

Last edited:
Your bird appears to be a female Brown-headed Cowbird. Brewer's Blackbird does not live around NY, and its the wrong season for Rusty Blackbird. And you're NEVER going to see a Shiny Cowbird in NY either.

Brown Creeper said:
Your bird appears to be a female Brown-headed Cowbird. Brewer's Blackbird does not live around NY, and its the wrong season for Rusty Blackbird. And you're NEVER going to see a Shiny Cowbird in NY either.

That's what I thought also. Barbara

Brown Creeper is right, it´s a BH Cowbird. Brewer´s BB has a much thinner bill (the Americans should know). And the possibility to see a Shiny Cowbird in NY is quite remote. There is resident population in S Florida, and there are records for Maine, N Carolina, Virginia, New Brunwick to mentioned a few. SCB is also kept as cagebird.
JanJ

JANJ said:
Brown Creeper is right, it´s a BH Cowbird. Brewer´s BB has a much thinner bill (the Americans should know).
Sorry, Jan, but even some of us Americans can be wrong on occasion, particularly IDing from photos. This being a BHCO would certainly explain the thicker bill. I've gotta quit trying to ID from pictures, I so seldom get it right. ;)

Ya know what, I'm gonna stick with Brewer's Blackbird. Since when do any ages of Brown-headed Cowbirds have yellow eyes? Plus -- and this is what really bothers me about this for being BHCO -- the whole head shape and lack of forehead isn't right for BHCO.

Brewer's Blackbird is on the Checklist for Birds of NY State even if it is a review species (meaning, it's uncommon enough to require documentation of having seen it), so BRBL isn't outside the realm of possibility here.

Last edited:
Katy - I don't see yellow eyes in the attached photo...which is why I was having trouble with Brewer's (but I wasn't sure if female Brewer's would have yellow eyes or were in the Eastern US so if they don't have yellow eyes and are found in the locale, I thought that was a possibility for the ID). Barbara

Last edited:
The thick bill says Cowbird to me, no way that is a blackbird bill.

When you look very closely, there is no color to the eye, rather there is black with a white dot, likely reflecting light, which our eyes interpret as a lighter color to the eye.

The other thing to keep in mind is this a juvie, so we would need breeding parents nearby, which likely effectively rules out NY rarities.

In addition, it looks to me like there are fine dark streaks on the breast, and the overall coloration is pretty similar to juvie BHCs we get here.

Juvenile Brown-headed Cowbird for me.

Hi Katy!
A little friendly irony, thought you would see the obvious difference between a BH Cowbird and a B Blackbird bill. I dont think you shall quit ID from pic (what would become of us then), and to ID from pic is often very difficult, and especially if you only know a certain bird from pic. We all are wrong sometimes, as I´m sure you know, and that´s the idea of it all, progress! Thayeri gave the explanation.
Regards JanJ

LOL, Jan, considering my track record on BirdForum alone in trying to help ID birds from photos, I have to concede this probably isn't a BRBL. :bounce:

Thayeri raised a good point, which totally eluded me: A juvie BRBL would have to have had breeding parents there, and since this is a review species for NY, whille not impossible, is unlikely.

What so struck me about Dinboglu's photo was that it could have been taken in my own back yard, and the juvenile being fed here by the adult male BRBL has yellow eyes, hence my assumption that the light eye I see on this bird I simply interpreted to be yellow, not a reflection which, again, it very likely is.

Going back outside now to look at more birds. ;)

Isn't the apparent pale eye flash reflecting off the retina? (Steel eye in birds = red eye in people.) The pale area is in the middle of the eye, suggesting it is reflection through the pupil, not a pale surround of the iris.

Yes the bird has black eyes, the light spot is a reflection of the flash.

I think its courting season for the common grackles. I've been watching the males bringing the females seeds and bits of worm. The females flies around loudly calling and the males come running..LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back