• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Here are the new Victorys: Victory HT (1 Viewer)

Imans66 (post 1557),
I am flattered that you refer to my test report in your review of the SLC-HD and the Victory HT. One thing I have to correct: I am not German, but Dutch from top to toe.
I share most of your conclusions and the differences between the HT and the SLC-HD are minor and for non-experienced observers very hard or not observable.
In another discussion about the Victory HT on this forum was speculated that the overall spectral transmission of the HT is 95%, but that is certainly not the case, it has a peak value of 95,2% around 550 nm and it decreases above and below that wavelength, see the transmission spectra in my test report you referred to.
Gijs

Just as I posted in my brief observation here, Gijs van Ginkel also seems to imply in his pdf review the HT suffers from astigmatism too.

Thanks a lot for this comparison!

"The HT has filter threads."

That sounds interesting - where are these threads, at the objectives or eyepieces? Are there any filters to be sold with these binoculars?

Cheers,
Holger

Holger,

Emailed Zeiss about the filter size for the HT on March 22, 2013.

Zeiss acknowledged the request, but as yet no info.

Mike

Back on topic.

I got to try the Victory HT 8x42 binoculars yesterday afternoon. Yes they were a little brighter than my Swaro 10x42, but once again with Zeiss I get blackout. The HT's look and feel cheap to me, they remind me of my old Pentax PCF binoculars. I also hope Zeiss has solved the problem with the Loutec coatings and fungus.

Maybe its just me but I`m sick of fatuous comments made on Binoculars at this level regarding build or optics.

Lets be frank these things are made really really well.

The optics are cutting edge.

One or the other may suit your personal preference more and swing your decision.

This is a Zeiss thread about the new HT and IMO constant derogatory jabs aimed at it whilst praising a competitor brand is meaningless.

I want to hear from owners on their experience living with the HT whether that is good or bad, not from Swaro boys just out to nit pick whilst slapping themselves on the back for their more enlightened purchase.

End of rant.

P.S I don`t mean Imans comparison which was the kind of post I want to read.

Last edited:
After extensive field testing of the Swaro 8 x 42 SLC and Zeiss 8 x 42 HT....I opted for the Zeiss. I can tell it will work very well in trees, wet climates, jungles, canopies...clouds, dusk, BI, focus etc... The overall feel and the 'want' to hold the binoculars also came into play let alone what I feel is overall quality. To me....it feels just right and quality is alpha.

The only area where it lacked behind the Swaro was in mid to long range sharpness and for now I will use my Vortex 10X but can see that the Vortex lacks overall quality/sharpness. It goes to show you that a non-alpha binocular really stands out for lack of quality when a person spends days with Alphas.

I will eventually purchase a Swaro or Zeiss 10 or 12 power. The 'feel' of the Swaro will not bother me for many times when birding shorebird refuges I find myself birding in the car or near it, hence...no need to have one that really feels good as I walk around. I also have a Swaro 80HD scope which is superb, .....

lmans

Congrats on the HT Laurie, (I`m just a tad jealous), I can see the ca in the photo, I must say I`m surprised as I saw none when I demo`d a pair at SW Optics.

You need to try them in the field like I did. That's when you notice how much CA the HT's have. :-C

You need to try them in the field like I did. That's when you notice how much CA the HT's have. :-C

As there`s no Alpha 7x42 Zeiss or Swaro now I doubt I`ll be bothering either any time soon.

Looks like Leica Meopta or Nikon will have my attention and money in the future.

Last edited:
The HT's look and feel cheap to me, they remind me of my old Pentax PCF binoculars.

You're the first to complain about the lokk and feel of the HTs.

I also hope Zeiss has solved the problem with the Loutec coatings and fungus.

Any evidence to back this up? Or is it just an attempt to attack Zeiss by posting some far-fetched allegations?

Given your posting history here over the past few weeks the latter seems more likely.

Hermann

Last edited:
This forum should begin concentrating on the benefits of the Zeiss...or the working experience with...not conjecture or what a person thinks (just because they have another brand)...

Do what I did...if you are going to spend $2000+ on a pair of binoculars...don't rely upon a quick look at a store. If you can, order in a few pair that you feel are likely candidates and do some field tests of your own. See how you bird, and what you feel is needed in a binocular. Read objective field experiences/posts....

For instance last night I went out with the Zeiss at dusk....perfect clarity and it showed the colors of the Indigo Bunting I was observing. At this time, with this pair of bino's ...I see no issues of CA or astigmatism ...also I am not even going to approach the 'fungus' talk, insanity.

Look guys ..these are Alpha Bino's...(Swaro's Zeiss, Nikon and Leica)...they are not selling inferior products, knock-offs or under $500 wanna-bes. You have the real deal here so appreciate the best that each has to offer and accept that not all are perfect.

Congrats on the HT Laurie, (I`m just a tad jealous), I can see the ca in the photo, I must say I`m surprised as I saw none when I demo`d a pair at SW Optics.
I'm so happy with my 10x42 Swarovision binoculars. I don't know how Swarovski could ever improve on these.
Back on topic.
I got to try the Victory HT 8x42 binoculars yesterday afternoon. Yes they were a little brighter than my Swaro 10x42, but once again with Zeiss I get blackout. The HT's look and feel cheap to me, they remind me of my old Pentax PCF binoculars. I also hope Zeiss has solved the problem with the Loutec coatings and fungus.
You're the first to complain about the look and feel of the HTs .....

..... Any evidence to back this up? Or is it just an attempt to attack Zeiss by posting some far-fetched allegations?
Given your posting history here over the past few weeks the latter seems more likely.
Maybe its just me but I`m sick of fatuous comments made on Binoculars at this level regarding build or optics.
Lets be frank these things are made really really well. The optics are cutting edge.
One or the other may suit your personal preference more and swing your decision.
This is a Zeiss thread about the new HT and IMO constant derogatory jabs aimed at it whilst praising a competitor brand is meaningless.
I want to hear from owners on their experience living with the HT whether that is good or bad, not from Swaro boys just out to nit pick whilst slapping themselves on the back for their more enlightened purchase.

End of rant.

P.S I don`t mean Imans comparison which was the kind of post I want to read.

Lyrebird, it seems a few here don't like the cut of your jib. Your posts sound suspiciously like they come from Denver, Colorado, rather than the Gold Coast. That's not a good thing. I don't like the way some of these s**t stirring one-liners (on this, and spurious statements on other threads) reflect on this part of the world. Wouldn't want to come across as a pack of these now - would we?!

Laurie himself said that there was more CA in the photos than was visible through the bins. The HT's have triplet objectives and FL and HT glass. It's going to be hard in practice to get much better CA performance than this (vaguaries of the internal focusing element, short focal length, and overall optical design notwithstanding). Allbino's gave the FL's 9.3/10 for CA correction, and said this of the FL's, "Corrected splendidly in the centre, very well on the edge! Almost perfect!". Given that you had "blackouts", with the HT's - which have less ER than the SV's, I'd have to wonder if you even had them adjusted correctly. You see what you see. Maybe you're just hypersensitive to CA. I know I'm the same way about BS. We're all different, and our eyes see individual things unique to us. Then again we're all put together with pretty much the same bits 'n' pieces - otherwise the manufacturers would have a helluva time trying to keep up with the custom demand!

By all means offer your constructive input, opinion, and any hands-on experience, but the last thing you would want to do, is to have to change your avatar to a *spangled drongo*, or your flag to wa*kersville, Tennessee ..... |8.|

Chosun :gh:

Update on the HT focuser, the hair of play at the 1/4 from infinity has spread to almost the whole range. And the focuser is slightly looser.

Joe,

You mentioned that Zeiss was somewhat unresponsive about the focus wheel performance on your HT.

Non-birders sometimes don't appreciate subtle issues in focus wheel performance:

- different tension in opposite directions;
- slack before focus starts changing;
- too much tension;
- too little tension;
- not smooth;
- gritty;
- ratchety;
- and sticky.

Perhaps only a birder appreciates the #&*@! that accompanies slack in a focus wheel when you've focused on several hundred birds in a day.

This is a QC issue, and is shared by more than one premium brand.

Assuming your communication was with Zeiss in Germany, you may want to approach the distributor in Singapore, who may have multiple samples in inventory.

Either that, or order a replacement from Eagle Optics in Wisconsin.

Mike

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back