• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hermit Thrush? Arkansas, USA (1 Viewer)

Trojansoc

I shot this guy this afternoon wading around in the bottom of a drained pond at a local fish hatchery. From the front he looks like a hermit thrush, but there was more grey than the ones I normally see, and the wing markings were far more distinctive.

In addition the habitat wasn't the normal heavy wooded areas where I've photographed hermit thrushes before. He was in the company of killdeers and considerably smaller that them. My first through was of a small sandpiper of some sort, but there were so many things that said thrush.

Any help appreciated.

Paul

Attachments

• 803869880_KRk3M-L.jpg
    803869880_KRk3M-L.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 803869981_bkcgL-L.jpg
    803869981_bkcgL-L.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 803866056_zrmBs-L.jpg
    803866056_zrmBs-L.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 803868421_HyM9r-L.jpg
    803868421_HyM9r-L.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
I'm gonna go with Sage Thrasher on this one. White tail corners, streaked breast all look good for this Thrasher. Now let's see if anyone else agrees ;)

Slender bill, outer white tail feathers, breast pattern, eye brow, dark legs + it's in more open country - all suggest American Pipit in winter form.

I have to admit a pipit never occurred to me; this is the first I've ever seen. I have one more shot, not real great, but that might add a little with wing spread.

Paul

Attachments

• 803868526_CPj89-L.jpg
    803868526_CPj89-L.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 60
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back