• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hermit Thrush? Sonoma County, CA (1 Viewer)

MelospizaMelodiaFan

I photograph birds
United States
Hermit thrush.jpg
Thought this was one of the usual birds in my neighborhood and snapped a shot as an afterthought. Now I think it is a Hermit Thrush, which would be a lifer for me. Can someone confirm? Thanks.

There are Thrushes on migration through Sonoma right now. My vineyard property is along the Laguna de Santa Rosa, and late August through September, large flocks of migrating birds stop at the tall cottonwoods along the creek around sunset. I call it "bird happy hour". Just started up again, will have twice as many in a few weeks. I viewed them with binoculars yesterday, saw they have spotted bellies. Unfortunately, iPhone lens doesn't zoom in well. Would like to ID.

Attachments

• IMG_4926.JPG
    IMG_4926.JPG
    946.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4928.MOV
    16.1 MB
There are Thrushes on migration through Sonoma right now. My vineyard property is along the Laguna de Santa Rosa, and late August through September, large flocks of migrating birds stop at the tall cottonwoods along the creek around sunset. I call it "bird happy hour". Just started up again, will have twice as many in a few weeks. I viewed them with binoculars yesterday, saw they have spotted bellies. Unfortunately, iPhone lens doesn't zoom in well. Would like to ID.
Thanks for your reply. Now that I know these are around, I will try to get more photos.

These are starlings.

These are starlings.
If mine are identified as starlings, that would make sense. These look and behave differently than the ones that pass through in late October / November, but they are an equal menace to my crop. Opens up my options to control the nuisance.

Beware, this file will download to your computer.
As has been pointed out before... You can't see/watch a still/video file on your computer without it downloading - whether or not you think it has 'downloaded'. So there's nothing (extra) to beware of here.

As has been pointed out before... You can't see/watch a still/video file on your computer without it downloading - whether or not you think it has 'downloaded'. So there's nothing (extra) to beware of here.
I too am surprised that’s how the forum displays images/videos too. The vid is not spyware, I shot and uploaded from my iphone/Mac. Can remove if people are bothered by it.

I'm not certain on how exactly it works, but wouldn't it normally download to the RAM rather than the actual hard drive (which is what it does here)?

There is if there's a virus in the file and it is there as a file in my downloads.

I've suggested to members before, that the safest way to view a file for others, is to put it on youtube and paste the link.

I'm not certain on how exactly it works, but wouldn't it normally download to the RAM rather than the actual hard drive (which is what it does here)?
My point exactly.

I'm no 'techie' but it would usually just be there in your browser history to be deleted whenever but this, sits as an item in your download folder.

There is if . . . it is there as a file in my downloads.
No - and that's what I said: it makes a temporary file (ie an actual real file on your long-term storage among all the other mass of stuff that your browser caches as you browse, but you don't see and so you don't get upset) or a 'normal' file which you see among your downloads. Same difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back