• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi does anyone know what this bird is? (1 Viewer)

Hi
I’m trying to identify this bird. It’s near Inverness, Scotland.
Assuming it’s a bird of prey but don’t think I’m familiar with it.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3633.png
    IMG_3633.png
    276.4 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_3520.mov
    12.3 MB
Hi Wallydog and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. All I can say is, I agree with you that it isn't a Magpie - the tail is all wrong for a start LOL. I'll leave the experts in this forum to help you with the ID though.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi Wallydog and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. All I can say is, I agree with you that it isn't a Magpie - the tail is all wrong for a start LOL. I'll leave the experts in this forum to help you with the ID though.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Thanks 😊

Certainly heard Jay, however the flying bird is certainly not one, it’s too fast!
Acceleration is more pigeon like…..

Cheers

Certainly heard Jay, however the flying bird is certainly not one, it’s too fast!
Acceleration is more pigeon like…..
Plumage and structure of the flying bird are Jay-like, as is its flight (even if its flight is more rapid than would be expected for a Jay). If it was the calling bird then it's a Jay.

Plumage and structure of the flying bird are Jay-like, as is its flight (even if its flight is more rapid than would be expected for a Jay). If it was the calling bird then it's a Jay.
Unsure of your exposure to Jays, the last 40 years I have them most days in and or over the garden…”think” I know their behaviour, they certainly don’t “explode” out of tree tops like the OP’s bird……

How weird.

You can hear a Jay, and also a scolding bird (Blackbird?) and the bird in flight looks like a member of the thrush family, based on size, upright posture and flight.

(Want to say Fieldfare - black tail)

How weird.

You can hear a Jay, and also a scolding bird (Blackbird?) and the bird in flight looks like a member of the thrush family, based on size, upright posture and flight.

(Want to say Fieldfare - black tail)
What I would say, is that the shape of the trailing wing (pinched) looks good for Jay…however the acceleration looks too fierce for the species, perhaps all mine are on drugs!😂

Unsure of your exposure to Jays, the last 40 years I have them most days in and or over the garden…”think” I know their behaviour, they certainly don’t “explode” out of tree tops like the OP’s bird……
It's a Jay. It took off beyond the tree in the image.

John

Bird looks and flies like a normal Jay. And as the OP stated its the calling bird, that nails it.

(Crossbill sp in background, and Siskin).

As I said, did seem weird!

The bird lands in the tree, looks quite upright, then flies off with a rapid twisting flight - found it hard to reconcile this with Jay, but hey!

EDIT: Just watched the video another dozen times and guess I'm seeing it jizz wise. Size perspective (phone camera?) and slightly jerky capture didn't help me. Solid black tail and plumpness are there for Jay too.

Interesting ;-)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back