• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi does anyone know what this bird is? (1 Viewer)

How weird.

You can hear a Jay, and also a scolding bird (Blackbird?) and the bird in flight looks like a member of the thrush family, based on size, upright posture and flight.

(Want to say Fieldfare - black tail)
The other calls sound like crossbill excitement calls (and Siskin) to me.

Out of interest, what specifically is Jay like in your opinion regarding the moving bird?
The underwing pattern, along with the diagnostic bulging secondaries and fuller than full tail, all shout Jay. This species when spooked is extremely quick on take off and in the air. It’s a Jay 😀

The underwing pattern, along with the diagnostic bulging secondaries and fuller than full tail, all shout Jay. This species when spooked is extremely quick on take off and in the air. It’s a Jay 😀
I accept what it is, however I’ve not seen one out the blocks “so quick”….most unusual in my experience.😮👍

I accept what it is, however I’ve not seen one out the blocks “so quick”….most unusual in my experience.😮👍
I think somehow it is accentuated differently by the video quality and frame rate? And it isn't in easy slow mode as Bubbs says ...

A bit like the Magpies that saturate my estate Ken. They are mostly slow out of the blocks but threatened they beat “grease lightning“.

Last edited:
Thanks guys!
Yes the calling one was definitely the flying bird. Here are a couple of other wee clips as it only lets you upload something like 10 seconds at a time. It flew to another tree and started calling from there as well.
Size wise I’d say about the size of a dove.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3520.mov
    15.9 MB
  • IMG_3521.mov
    18.4 MB
Will go with a Jay then 😊
I’ve noticed quite a few magpies around the Daviot are this last year or so. Also a few around Brora and the furtherest north I’ve seen one was Dounreay about 5 years ago.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back