• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi everyone (1 Viewer)

Owls

United Kingdom
Hi folks, I am not an expert by any means but I know most birds that are found in or visit the UK.

I am a keen angler so there is always the opportunity to see plenty of different varieties of bird, especially at quiet places.

Over the years though, I have only seen a handful of kingfishers. Normally they are extremely shy but today I was sitting quietly when one decided to perch on my rod tip. Luckily I had my phone to hand and took a quick snap.

The picture isn’t the greatest quality and may have lost a bit of the colour. It’s also not that clear as you expand it. I am 99.9% sure it’s a kingfisher but it lacked the brilliant blue they normally have.

Just wondered if perhaps they lose a bit of colour at certain times of the year or something and it also seemed larger than I expected. Sorry the picture isn’t of greater quality. Any thoughts much appreciated.

4627B77D-2A6E-4B5D-99EC-7F3747579711.jpeg

Hello Owls and welcome to BirdForum! Yes a Kingfisher, probably an immature bird, their plumage tends to be a bit duller than the adults'. What a lovely experience!

Chris

Hi Owls and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

How wonderful for you to have that kingfisher make use of your rod for a viewpoint!!! Some people have all the luck.

You can read more about these beauties in our Opus article: Common Kingfisher - BirdForum Opus

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Thanks for the replies, a juvenile bird explains it, as it’s legs were quite dark. I also have a picture of 4 herons all perched on an old dead tree all within 4 feet of each other. Unfortunately before the days of mobiles so I only have a hard copy.

Quiet pools are often good places to catch a glimpse of birds that tend to be shy. I have seen a few tawny owls in broad daylight and one particular place was a route that a barn owl took every night just after sunset. It would fly above me as if I wasn’t there. Great to watch.

Hi there Owls and a warm welcome to you . (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

I've always loved Shropshire!! How lucky you are to live there.

You sure do seem to get some great sightings Owls.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

I've always loved Shropshire!! How lucky you are to live there.

You sure do seem to get some great sightings Owls.
Yes, it’s extremely nice and I do appreciate how lucky we are to have such a beautiful county. I used to work in some very remote rural areas and one place had a pair of yellow pied wagtails that nested annually. Another had a resident black and white, blackbird.

We also see all types of woodpecker although the lesser spotted I haven’t seen for many years now. Red kites are reasonably common nowadays and fieldfares are another I used to see at my old address.

I went fishing again yesterday, to the exact same spot and saw the kingfisher again. I am assuming it was the same one but may not have been. It was in flight this time so no picture, unfortunately.

Then this morning a greater spotted woodpecker visited the tree outside my window, where there is a rotting apple tree but by the time I grabbed my phone for a picture it had gone.

I went fishing again yesterday, to the exact same spot and saw the kingfisher again. I am assuming it was the same one but may not have been. It was in flight this time so no picture, unfortunately.

Then this morning a greater spotted woodpecker visited the tree outside my window, where there is a rotting apple tree but by the time I grabbed my phone for a picture it had gone.
You seem to have joined the world of frustrated bird photographers Owls.... that sort of thing happens to me all the time LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back