• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi from Bruce in New Zealand (1 Viewer)

winmark

As a keen bird photographer living in a birding paradise, I am looking forward to both sharing my work and seeing other bird images from around the world.

Cheers
Bruce Winslade

Attachments

• Dotterel NZ 827 sml.jpg
    Dotterel NZ 827 sml.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 138
Hi Bruce,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin.

Good pic :t: I look forward to seeing your photos in the Gallery. Click here for the gallery guidelines.

Hi Bruce

I live in South Africa and also am a very keen bird photographer, all species, but especially water birds as I live in a townhouse with a huge dam and have geese and ducks that I feed daily.

Would like to see some of your photos.

Regards.

Maggie

winmark said:
As a keen bird photographer living in a birding paradise, I am looking forward to both sharing my work and seeing other bird images from around the world.

Cheers
Bruce Winslade

Hi Bruce

I live in South Africa and also am a very keen bird photographer, all species, but especially water birds as I live in a townhouse with a huge dam and have geese and ducks that I feed daily.

Regards.

Maggie

Hi Bruce, welcome to BirdForum

I notice from your profile you are a graphic designer, so am I!

Enjoy BirdForum, I spend hours looking at this site, very addictive!

Last edited:
Kiwi Welcome

winmark said:

Cheers
Bruce Winslade

Hi Bruce, welcome on this great Birdforum!

Know your paradise and love it (that is if you mean New Zealand) especially at Sea!

Looking forward to your pictures. (Not a great photographer myself)

Cheers,
Leo

Thanks for reply..

Hi Penny

Thanks for the response. It was graphics work that dragged me into photography, once digital cameras became serious. After years of fixing and tweaking 100,000+ other people's poor photos, I decided it was time to work with better originals! and then from that the birds got me - small, fast, devious and wary - a big photographic challenge!
I note you are from Kings Lynn - I went there briefly in 2004 to pick up a campervan off Ebay.

Cheers
Bruce Winslade

Penny Clarke said:
Hi Bruce, welcome to BirdForum

I notice from your profile you are a graphic designer, so am I!

Enjoy BirdForum, I spend hours looking at this site, very addictive!

Thanks from Bruce in NZ

Thanks for responding Maggie

More of my bird photos at:
http://homepage.mac.com/winmarkgraphics/PhotoAlbum2.html

Never been to South Africa (sigh! one day!) but I imagine the bird (and other) wildlife is fantastic. Recently saw a documentary on rescuing the Jackass penguins after oil spills - very inspiring. I've phographed many other species of penguins, so it's on the wish list

Best wishes
Bruce Winslade

]Hi Bruce

Regards.

Maggie[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your response Leo

Hi Leo

Living in NZ?
More of my photos at:
http://homepage.mac.com/winmarkgraphics/PhotoAlbum2.html

haven't got into seabirds very much yet myself, as I'm not a boatie. But sometime soon, cash permitting, I would love to do one of the Pelagic seaabird tours

Cheers,
Bruce

Hi Bruce, welcome on this great Birdforum!

Know your paradise and love it (that is if you mean New Zealand) especially at Sea!

Looking forward to your pictures. (Not a great photographer myself)

Cheers,
Leo[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your welcome, Salty

Hi Salty

Hopefully later this year I will make it to Scotland, and will be looking for local info on bird sites, especially eagles

Thanks for the welcome

Bruce Winslade

salty said:
hello, welcome to bird forum!

other side of paradise

winmark said:

Cheers
Bruce Winslade
Kia ora Bruce,
We are lucky to also live in NZ. We have a bush wetland reserve near Invercagill with fernbirds. If you are down this way and especially if you want to photograph fernbirds drop in for a cuppa. www.fernbirds.co.nz
Ian

Fernbirds NZ said:
Kia ora Bruce,
We are lucky to also live in NZ. We have a bush wetland reserve near Invercagill with fernbirds. If you are down this way and especially if you want to photograph fernbirds drop in for a cuppa. www.fernbirds.co.nz
Ian

Thanks Ian, I might just take you up on that offer of a cuppa. Fernbirds have yet to make it into my viewfinder, so it's interesting to know of your spot.
Cheers, Bruce

Hola Bruce and welcome from Argentina. I really enjoyed viewing your photos. Nice work.

Hello Bruce welcome to BirdForum. You certainly have some wonderful bird photographs. I have just bought a Canon 350D with a 50-500 Sigma lens, so hope in time to get some good ones of my own.

I was in Christchurch in March, sadly only for three days. Went to a beautiful place called Akaroa. Being on a tour I had very little time to do some birding, our guide said it was a great birding area. One day I would love to return to New Zealand, what I saw was wonderful.

Rod.

Hi Bruce,

Just saw your post & images & wanted to say you've got some top notch photos. My wife & I are going to the South Island in Nov & can't wait to see the wildlife for ourselves! As my handle suggests I'm quite keen on Terns & have lined up some trips that should have Antarctic, Caspian & White Fronted amongst all the other amazing birds. Do you know any specific sites for Blk fronted Tern? I've just been given general "look at braided river habitats"

Thanks in advance for any help & keep up wth the great photos.

TN

Black-fronted Terns

Hi Tern Nut
Thanks for the kudos!. I live in Auckland, in the North island, but I have some experience of South Island birding. Happy to oblige.
I found black-fronted terns near Mt Cook (will put up a pic in a moment), in the central North island. I am presuming you have, or will have access to a NZ map. I don't know how you are travelling, camper van is popular, and probably the best way to go for birders.

Just South of Mt Cook village, there is a road that leads to the foot of the Tasman Glacier, which in itself is worth a look (as is Mt Cook/Aoraki). About one kilometre along that road, a bridge crosses the Hooker River.

Immediately across that bridge, you can get off the road and park on the right. In February this year there were hundreds of BF terns feeding over the scrub and the Hooker river downstream from that spot.

Of course, while at Mt Cook, you should get plenty of opportunity to see Kea (Alpine Parrot), and possibly Rifleman (NZ's smallest bird), and if very lucky, another tiny bird, the Rock Wren (and a few others maybe)

Whitefronted terns can be found in many coastal spots, one reliable place to find them in a sizeable group would be at Moeraki, south of Oamaru (south Canterbury) on state Highway 1. Most of the tourists stop to look at some unusual boulder formations here, but for birders the real prize is a small reserve at Katiki Point (look for signs to the lighthouse). Imho it is the best place to see Yellow-eyed penguins (the rarest species of penguin), but large numbers of WF terns roost here also on the south side of the peninsula, all very accessible. (Breding season, wear a hat! They love to dive-bomb!)

A small penguin hospital here deals with some sub-antarctic stragglers, so it's worth asking at the lighthouse if they have any interesting visitors (e.g. Royal, Snares, Erect-crested, Fiordland crested).

I'm happy to share any other info useful to you, so you may wish to drop me a line at [email protected]

Cheers
Bruce

PS: If you're coming thru Auckland to get to the South Island, another reliable WF tern roost is Maori Bay, at Muriwai on the West Coast, adjacent to a huge Aust. Gannet colony - both would interest you I think

Hi Bruce,

Just saw your post & images & wanted to say you've got some top notch photos. My wife & I are going to the South Island in Nov & can't wait to see the wildlife for ourselves! As my handle suggests I'm quite keen on Terns & have lined up some trips that should have Antarctic, Caspian & White Fronted amongst all the other amazing birds. Do you know any specific sites for Blk fronted Tern? I've just been given general "look at braided river habitats"

Thanks in advance for any help & keep up wth the great photos.

TN[/QUOTE]

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back