• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi from Newfoundland… (1 Viewer)

Ms Boudleaux

Canada
Hi, I’m Susan, from Newfoundland. I’m retired, and have time to appreciate things I didn’t have time for in an earlier life —wildlife, nature, gardening and painting, most of all. I’ve always loved birds, especially little songbirds. My down-town tiny garden is visited by lots of birds, not a huge variety, but lots in number—juncos in the winter and robins in the spring, sparrows and chickadees, blue jays and flickers. Lots and lots of seagulls flying above the houses and the harbour. The occasional bald eagle cruising from Signal Hill up toward the Waterford river valley.

I’m most interested in identifying the birds I don’t know, ones that don’t belong here but have been swept off their usual migratory routes, or been blown across the Atlantic from the British Isles or from Europe in fierce winter weather. Late last fall a Baltimore Oriole alighted on my third floor balcony railing. I‘m pretty sure it was an oriole because I looked it up after. It didn’t stay long. I cut an orange in half and skewered the pieces onto a pot with frozen soil in it, but the oriole didn’t come back. It must have been blown off course to get here, as I don’t think Newfoundland is in its range, at least not this side, the easternmost part, sticking out into the Atlantic.

I look forward to seeing photos from group members, and reading your posts.

See below for two not very good quality photos of the oriole—

Attachments

• IMG_9426.jpeg
    IMG_9426.jpeg
    118.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9425.jpeg
    IMG_9425.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 3
Hi Ms Boudleaux and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I hope we may be able to see some of your pictures in the Gallery (you can upload up to three per day in the Gallery).

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back