• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi from Tasmania (1 Viewer)

KerryLeigh

Australia
Hi,

I live in Tasmania and I’m keen to learn more about the birds around me and how to ID them. Can anyone tell me how I might be able to ID what bird this feather came from?

Thank you! IMG_4001.jpeg

Hi Kerry and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I've moved your post to the ID forum, as they're better placed to be able to assist you.

It would help with the identification if you could say where you found it and when and what the habitat was like there. Also an idea of the size of the feather. If you don't have a measure, place something beside it that can be used as a guide.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi,

I live in Tasmania and I’m keen to learn more about the birds around me and how to ID them. Can anyone tell me how I might be able to ID what bird this feather came from?

Thank you! View attachment 1550428
I found this feather yesterday evening in a dairy paddock near a river in Pyengana Tasmania, the Northeast of Tasmania.
It is 28.5 cm long

My friends thought it was a kookaburra but I thought it might be some type of hawk. Thank you so much for any help IDing this bird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back