• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Highest quality 10x50 central focus porro? (3 Viewers)

Agree on the eye relief issues, the decarem were possibly the most fiddly binoculars i've ever used - they had to go!
Interesting, did you think the fiddly-ness was definitely down to eye relief then (as opposed to collimation/alignment, which can sometimes be an issue with old porros)? I've personally found most of the short eye relief binoculars to work very well once you remove your glasses (which of course they were designed for) - I think they often feel more immersive than long eye relief binoculars used without glasses, when you have to extend the eyecups a long way out.

That said, I definitely found the Zeiss West version difficult to "learn how to look through" at first. It sometimes still takes a bit of getting used to after I've been away from it for a while. With this binocular I found the distance you put the binocular to your eyes can make a real difference (which I suppose is eye relief related). Interestingly, almost all the porros I've tried have taken a bit of getting used to, maybe because of the separation between the objectives. I find roof prism binoculars, being more "straight through" so to speak, easier to immediately get to grips with - more "accessible" as I've heard it described.

I thought it was mainly eye relief that made them tricky.

I picked them up in good condition, had a look through and used them out and about for a bit and thought the view was good enough to warrant an investment to bring them back to their best. There wasn't any fungus or haze inside but the mechanicals needed a service and although I was quite sure collimation was good using my usual tests I thought I may as well have that done as they would be getting stripped anyway.

When I got them back the mechanicals were good and everything worked just like it should but I still couldn't get a comfortable eye placement so at a small loss they had to go.

What's interesting is compared to the carton 10x50's the decarem 10x50 q1's had a better view, much brighter (thank the multi coatings) and with a wider field with less c.a but due to the lack of accessibility it's the cartons I still have and use.

Interesting indeed. It's fair to say, I think, that a well executed design can still be very satisfying to use, even though specifications on paper may not be that impressive - and smaller FOV should make it easier to correct aberrations etc.

One wonders if the Carton (could you find any JE/JB numbers?) had any design heritage from the old Leitz 10x50 that also had a 5 degree FOV? Japanese manufacturers (the PRC of the day) made good copies or near-copies of American Bausch & Lomb designs; a good copy of the old Leitz ought to be worth a look, for sure.

Hi Patudo sorry just rushing out but -
Local hide today, just having a quick wander up and down the ivel looking to see any evidence of kingfishers. Local populations seem to have been decimated by a week when the temperatures didn't get above -5 in late December with snow on the ground, still no sign of them but at least the sand martins have returned - the rewards of the risks of migration.

Bino's are vintage Carton 10x50's, single coated, I wouldn't call the view dim but there is a definite lack of contrast and a larger amount of c.a than you'd expect with moving eyepiece focusing, only compared to modern high quality optics though, in isolation they are very much adequate. J-b116 is the Japanese factory code - Hattori Koki Seisakujo. I picked them up for the princely sum of £36 then spent another £130 having them thoroughly serviced by Mr Kay at Optrep down on the south coast. Started raining now though so they're getting tucked back into my jacket for the small walk home.

WillView attachment 1505742View attachment 1505743

I have a CZJ Dekarem 10x50 in virtually new condition. Love em to bits. Reserved for dry nice weather use. Use the 8x42 Opticron VGH+ monocular when the weather is crappy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back