• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hobby or Peregrine? Paris, France, 12 May (1 Viewer)

pjacobs

United States
I saw a Falco this afternoon circling some water on the edge of the Bois de Boulogne. The lighting is terrible but I was hoping someone could confirm the ID.

I thought Hobby in the field, but looking at the photos I thought it could possibly be a Peregrine. I've never ID'd a peregrine with just a silhouette like this so I'm not confident.

Thanks for the help,
Peter

falco_1_crop.JPGfalco_2_crop.JPGfalco_3_crop.JPG

You can make out the face pattern and the streaking on this one:

EDIT: Seems wrong for an adult Peregrine, which has horizontal streaking. I'll leave the rest to others.

Attachments

• falco_3_crop-modified.JPG
    falco_3_crop-modified.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Go to town on the editing and red colouring comes through (admittedly with other artefacts, but it’s in the right place).
I disagree with the visibility of the red colouring. I think all you can see in the retouching is the legs (which may appear a bit reddish because of the retouching). I tried myself and that's all I got. I agree that it's a Hobby, but I think female or juve. If it was adult male, there would be more and more obvious red after this retouching.

I think all you can see in the retouching is the legs
The red goes right back to the tip of the undertail coverts (not just the area of the legs), so I think it must be reddish feathering and the bird must be (largely?) adult (sexes are alike).

The red goes right back to the tip of the undertail coverts (not just the area of the legs), so I think it must be reddish feathering and the bird must be (largely?) adult (sexes are alike).
Well, I couldn't see this Butty. I did some more lightening on the adjusted photo (for my own amusement). I think all you can see are the legs, and then some slight artefact spreading between the legs because of the heavy adjustments. I don't think there's enough red for an adult male (or female if they are the same; I admit I thought the female was less red).

But, no big deal.

BF Hobby 230513.jpg

Well, I couldn't see this Butty. I did some more lightening on the adjusted photo (for my own amusement). I think all you can see are the legs, and then some slight artefact spreading between the legs because of the heavy adjustments. I don't think there's enough red for an adult male (or female if they are the same; I admit I thought the female was less red).

But, no big deal.

View attachment 1509705
Agreed 👍

I disagree with the visibility of the red colouring. I think all you can see in the retouching is the legs (which may appear a bit reddish because of the retouching). I tried myself and that's all I got. I agree that it's a Hobby, but I think female or juve. If it was adult male, there would be more and more obvious red after this retouching.
All three had similar colouring, so the red feathering I believe is causing the red artefact.
I just decided to post the best of the bunch knowing what I knew on the other two.
IMG_0980.jpegIMG_0981.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back