• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hoopoe or Hoax (1 Viewer)

Some phone cameras do produce that weird squiggly texture effect (especially when zoomed in - I think).
Yes, this is so (not so sure that it's phones specifically) - and that can certainly be why the grass is like this.
That peculiar big white swirl in the wing though is a different matter - and the whole wing-pattern looks unreal - but yet somehow familiar, and makes me suspect I've seen this before. Where's this photo taken from?
As mentioned by Mummy, size relative to the chair also seems odd - as if the hoopoe is the size of a sparrow.
Dodgy.

Perhaps an AI generated image? That might explain the weirdness of the chair and relative size of the 'bird'.
Can an AI generator produce low quality images? I've actually changed my mind, I do think the image has been tampered with but what sort of tampering can cause the weird swirl that is seen on the hoopoe?

Can an AI generator produce low quality images? I've actually changed my mind, I do think the image has been tampered with but what sort of tampering can cause the weird swirl that is seen on the hoopoe?
The one I tried a month or two ago did produce fairly poor images but I suppose if you ask an AI to generate pictures in the style of a low quality phone picture then it should be able to (I'm speculating as I've only tried using one once). Why anyone would want to however, is a different question.

Feasably genuine. This effect (The background in particular) is often the result of overdoing image sharpening with programs like 'Topaz - gigapixel Ai' and the like
Totally agree - overprocessing (whether intentional post-processing or side effect of camera software) where the algorithm tries to make sense of what it sees and creates missing pixels that make sense to it. I have seen exactly that with Topaz AI tools

I guess the other thing that is odd with the photo is the fact that the hoopoe is perched on a chair. I don't think I've ever seen a hoopoe perch on anything other than the ground!

I guess the other thing that is odd with the photo is the fact that the hoopoe is perched on a chair. I don't think I've ever seen a hoopoe perch on anything other than the ground!
I’ve seen a hoopoe perch on the top of an old village church.

... I've seen Hoopoe perch on rooftops, trees (they nest in holes in both after all), windowsills, picnic tables and backs of chairs etc in France.

Can't see why there isn't anything wrong with it being a poor quality shot as mentioned ... saying that a second image of the bird in a different pose would surely clinch it and rule out/in a paper model of a Hoopoe etc ... ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back