• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hoopoe or Hoax (2 Viewers)

I do get sent some odd things. This bird dropped a primary feather which looks good in the photograph.
You haven't said anything at all about the circumstances of this image - although it does seem that you know something. I did ask at the outset. What are the circumstances?

Very nice. Do your posts illustrate specific points which help with this ID question?
i put several pictures here that I am certain is a HOOPOE and that was to look at and compare with OP'S pic to make a decision if his is a hoopoe or not.. What's the petty rubbish for anyways?

Is this really a Hoopoe or a hoax. The photograph doesn't look quite right

Bird looks small in comparison to the chair to me. But I remember two genuine bird photos where I thought the same so often impressions are misleading!

Edit - if this was a five star rarity, I would have expected someone to find the make and exact dimensions of the chair by now. 😀

All the best

Paul

Last edited:
i put several pictures here that I am certain is a HOOPOE and that was to look at and compare with OP'S pic to make a decision if his is a hoopoe or not.. What's the petty rubbish for anyways?

I think everyone here is fully aware what a hoopoe is. It's one of the most recognisable birds on the planet.

The OP is asking whether it's a genuine photo of a hoopoe or a fake photo of a hoopoe. That it is a picture of a hoopoe is not in doubt.

Last edited:
Hoopoe length is given as 25-32 cm including bill. That would male the chair back about 40cm high, which doesn't seem unreasonable

I think everyone here is fully aware what a hoopoe is. It's one of the most recognisable birds on the planet.

The OP is asking whether it's a genuine photo of a hoopoe or a fake photo of a hoopoe. That it is a picture of a hoopoe is not in doubt.
I have ZERO idea on whom who knows what on a internet forum and when we start to assume things thats when we make a aXX out of ourself..

Hoopoe length is given as 25-32 cm including bill. That would male the chair back about 40cm high, which doesn't seem unreasonable
I use your size-range and I get a chair back about 66 cm high - which does seem unreasonable. So I'll stay with not much bigger than a sparrow.

As well as the odd looking size difference the chair has one arm curved and the other straight?
Dunno really, photos do funny things.

I guess the other thing that is odd with the photo is the fact that the hoopoe is perched on a chair. I don't think I've ever seen a hoopoe perch on anything other than the ground!
I've often seen them perching on tree branches, although they are more often encountered on the ground, because that's where they feed. They often fly up to a perch if they've been disturbed when feeding. I remember leaning on the rail of a hotel room terrace one time, when a hoopoe landed on the rail just a couple of feet from me, until it realised it had company and flopped off on its way.

This bird was one of a pair feeding on the ground behind our hotel in India. They would spend a while feeding on the ground, then they would fly up to a perch every so often, maybe as a defence against unseen hawks or other predators, before dropping down again to feed. They were happy to feed while I was there, so I wasn't flushing them, but of 24 photos that were keepers, taken during more than 20 minutes, 20 were on various perches.

Attachments

• Hoopoe-(20)-fbook.jpg
    Hoopoe-(20)-fbook.jpg
    795.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Is this really a Hoopoe or a hoax. The photograph doesn't look quite right
It looks genuine. I see pictures of hoopoes like this many times. Hoopoes like to forage in private gardens as they usually have short grass. So what happens mostly is that the owners of those houses are not birdwatchers, and they see this spectacular bird in the garden. Next they take a picture through the window and post it somewhere online to share their joy. It seems to have been taken from above (first story of the house / in between story), so that adds to the effect of the bird seemingly looking smaller (when seen from above). I don't see anything wrong with it, and the low-res quality actually convinces me more that it's genuine.
View attachment 1523627
Here is a picture of a Hoopoe I took back in SriLanka May of 2023..
Just note that the ssp. on the Indian subcontinent is ceylonensis, which is a buffier and smaller than ssp epops which occurs in most of Europe.
ps: That's quite a good picture if that is taken with your phone. :) If so, it's a bit of a shame you didn't have a better camera (especially with that shot of the feeding hoopoe) to get it sharp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back