• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

House Wren? Central MD (1 Viewer)

JoeAJ

United States
I am not really a big birder, but I do enjoy watching all the different birds we have flying around our yard. I noticed a very unusually colored wren flying around a few weeks ago. I finally managed to take a few pictures over the weekend and think it is a House Wren, but I could not find any pictures or descriptions with these colors.
Any help in defining the type of Wren and if this something is unique would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2519.JPG
    8.1 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2520.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2521.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 10
Hi Joe,

Your bird is a Common Yellowthroat, a type of warbler. Nice bright throat suggests a male but hard to be sure with young birds.

Stu
Thank you for the info.. I've lived here for five years and never seen anything like it until a few weeks ago. What made me think it was a wren is everytime I see it, there is a House Wren nearby. Thanks.

Last edited:
As established, Common Yellowthroat. The very tapered, pointed tail feathers make this a young bird (hatched 2022) and the bright throat indicates almost certainly a male. The amount of black in the face on young males is variable but often they don't show any/only a very subtle hint of a mask.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I'm sure to all the experienced birders, that was a stupid question, but for a non birder like me, it acted like a wren, about the same size, etc. but I had never seen one with that colorization before so I was it peaked my interest in finding out what it was.
I got those pics right in time, because I haven't seen that bird since I took those pictures. Guess it decided it was time to start heading south.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back