• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How many birders don't own a car (1 Viewer)

I don´t have a car at the moment. It is frustrating, I cant get to the good patches without one. Fortunately we can borrow my girlfriends parents car at times. When I m done at university il get a car instantly. And I compensate the emissions from the cars combustion engine by being vegetarian and never using airplanes. + some more stuff. The car is a really essential tool for a birder, imo.

Hitching no longer seems to be 'the way' does it Mr.Anderson? ....

or to add to the general discussion about hitching these days ....

Went up from Swanley to Swindon the other day after the fiesta eventually died to buy a new car from a friend of a friend... one of the worst days hitching I've ever had, took 9 hours (should have been a shade over 2 to drive I think). Bad junctions, being dropped off at a motorway junction (those nice highways policemen moved me to a marginally better place), heavy rain (no coat as I'd left it in France), and just long waits at every place I could have got an easy lift even.... (people just don't like stopping these days. Worried? In their own little private kingdom on 4 wheels?? Too many scare stories and occasional dodgy films?...??)

... I actually wasn't even hitching when I got my first lift, having given up (the shame!!), and was walking back through Swanley when some lost kid pulled up and asked him if I could lend him a quid for the Dartford Crossing as his boss had sent him out with no money......, I said ...yesss..... would you mind giving me a lift then in exchange....

Maybe not so great a move as the day panned out, but did get there in the end.

Otherwise haven't really hitched and twitched, although I did manage to stop off and see a Lesser Scaup at Cotswold Water Park on its first proper day on my way hitching back from Sheffield Uni to Somerset back in the 90's.

....Oh yes, and the dodgy lifts..... a few... absolutely paedophilic truck driver in the US :eek!: , being in the back of 2 door cars (escape route.... umm ...eek!) with horny swingers in the front on one occasion and drug toting indians in the middle of nowhere on another... but did escape unscathed.

But mostly just great.

Last edited:
since i dont have a car, im toying with the idea of buying a festival tent, then go off for a few days at a time, and say, wander around the reserves in Suffolk and Norfolk, and camp in or near the reserves. Is that wise, i wonder?

Sounds a great idea :t: Whether it's wise or not shouldn't come into the equation - you have to live a little whilst you get the chance, surely.

Danthe.....i guess 'tw-hitching' ain't as easy as it used to be...feckin shame tho! In the past we had it 'all sussed'....we knew which roundabouts were best..service stations etc. Sometimes we'd get to our desired 'rare site' before other twitchers in they're own cars got there...[ok...albeit rarely]! So confident were 'we' of getting to our destinations that on one occasion...when i'd booked with P.Harrison on the 2nd of his 'Chalice' pelagics...that i hitched down to Cornwall from Leics...not thinking for a moment that i wouldn't get there in time before the boat shipped out!

ps....maybe itz about time i 'stepped on' me rose tinted specs eh?!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back