• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How many of you have a spare pair of Binos in your car? (1 Viewer)

Colt3840

United States
Hello from a newbie,

I am just starting out with my new hobby of birding I have settled on a pair of Vortex Diamondbacks 8x42 as my primary. I do a lot of diving for work and not wanting to tote my Vortex around am considering a smaller pair of binos for my car between $75 -$100 that I can tuck away in my glove box. Any opinions and recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks in advance!:)

almost any decent pair will do,

but smaller , expendable better
Pentax Papillio , 32mms, older less used pair
heat, theft, damage your negatives

edj

almost any decent pair will do,

but smaller , expendable better
Pentax Papillio , 32mms, older less used pair
heat, theft, damage your negatives

edj

Good short summary of considerations, thanks.

My truck console bins rotate. Lately it's been a first gen Zeiss Terra 10x32. Got them new for $200 when the 2nd gen came out. If lost or damaged they can be easily replaced.

Mike

Zeiss Victory HT 8x42 in the trunk. They’d gone for repairs too long (12 weeks to fix a screw loose in the barrel) and I bought a Swarovski EL SV 8.5x42 in the meantime that became my primary pair.

I also keep a Minox Makroscope monocular in my door storage.

I have a pair of Vortex Raptor 8.5x32 in my truck. They are in your budget (just barely), and just fine for a pair that I use occasionally.

Hi,

as stated in other threads, I keep a well used pair of Hensoldt DF 8x30 with the recticule removed in my car... they are very rugged to stand vibrations and extreme temperature and I paid 50€ for them, so they are kinda expendable.

Joachim

I don't leave them in my vehicles all the time, but sometimes I'll grab my Leica 8x20 BCA to have along for the ride, if needed. They will do in a pinch.

I had an old pair of Nikon 7x20 with great optics that have been with me since a teenager and traveled everywhere around the world with me In the past few decades.

they are small enough to slip in my pocket when casually used and not bit enough to bother me while doing other activities

unfortunately they recently were stolen. currently looking for a replacement for my future adventures

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back