• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to stop birds flying into my windows? (1 Viewer)

sessy

I keep getting pigeons flying into my kitchen window. I'm thinking something reflective? Why are they doing this? Any ideas x

Sessy,first of a all,a warm welcome to BF.You can buy bird cut outs from mail order such as CJ birdfoods.You just stick onto your windows,and it deters the birds from flying into the windows.They are easy to remove when not required ,and leave no residue on the window pane.

Hi Sessy

Can't really add to Christine's advice - pigeons are very territorial when it comes to food - if you have ground food out and are attracting them, they will fight each other off until a few become dominant depending on amount of food available. My guess is they are 'attacking' their own reflections in the Kitchen window. The other possibility is, do you have feeders in front of the window, or at least reflected in the window? They will also try and 'charge' off ground feeders to spill food out onto ground. So perhaps a slight reajustment of your feeders might help also. (oh and obviously, if you have food out, such as bread etc visible through your window, chances are they can see that more clearly than the glass pane!)

and another Welcome to BF!

Last edited:
Hi Sessy,

Just a thought, but if you haven't done so already you could try putting up a net curtain at the window.

This would create a 'barrier' to the birds and might even improve your ability to watch them undetected as well.

Anthony

Had the same problem but now have vertical blinds [easier to see through than nets] and have had no problems since.

s. g.

Thank You Guys x

We have feeders all over the property and indeed very near to the kitchen window. Thanks for the info. My heart breaks when I see the beautiul pigeons stunned... so I'll get some bird stencils up... perfect! Peace and love to B.F friends x

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back