• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird Heater (1 Viewer)

RobbieS

Canada
Hello - I've just joined. I wanted to spread a way to heat feeders in this freezing weather. Just hooked it up this evening - hope it works. Here's what I did: I found a work lamp that clips on, clipped it on a solid board and aimed it at the feeder. Hope the nectar will not be frozen in the morning! We are having very unusual cold weather here in Vancouver BC - did not have this problem last year. Can't figure out how to add image, so I hope I've described it well. Any suggestions very welcome.

That sounds like a god idea Robbie. Please let us know how it works out.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

Hello, Just joined. Wanted to share a way I hope will keep my feeder from freezing tonight. I clipped a work lamp to a board, leaned it up to the house as close to the feeder as possible and aimed it at the feeder. Hope the heat from the light will help. Will see in the morning.Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 7.42.50 PM.png

Hi, welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. I’ve seen similar done, can’t remember where, so hopefully it will work.

Hi Robbie and a warm welcome from me too.

To upload your picture, first re-size it to less than 5000 px. then either click on the Landscape icon in the top row above the message pane, or on Attach files at the bottom. Hope this helps.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Hello, Just joined. Wanted to share a way I hope will keep my feeder from freezing tonight. I clipped a work lamp to a board, leaned it up to the house as close to the feeder as possible and aimed it at the feeder. Hope the heat from the light will help. Will see in the morning.View attachment 1421699
Sow how is it working out Robbie?

Also curious how this is working. Have the birds still been coming, with the cylinder all lit up like that?

Remember to frequently clean the feeder if it's at all warm, and to still clean it fairly frequently even if not. Also, make sure the birds have no way to come up against any hot surfaces, since they don't know any better.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back