• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird in Panama City, Panama (1 Viewer)

akjackson1

This mystery hummingbird was taken in the Parque Natural Metropolitano, Panama City on Oct 10 last year. I've gone through all the expected hummingbirds at that hotspot and nothing seems to match up with the tail shape, bronzy tones on the lower back and fully gray breast. I almost wonder if the two shots that show the bronzy tones (3649 and 3651) are a different individual, but they were only taken 3 seconds after the others and I don't recall seeing more than one hummingbird in the area. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• _AKJ3649.jpg
    _AKJ3649.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 12
  • _AKJ3659.jpg
    _AKJ3659.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • _AKJ3651.jpg
    _AKJ3651.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 9
  • _AKJ3655.jpg
    _AKJ3655.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 9
  • _AKJ3656-2.jpg
    _AKJ3656-2.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 9
  • _AKJ3657.jpg
    _AKJ3657.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 10
  • _AKJ3660.jpg
    _AKJ3660.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
It could it be a female Ruby Throated one.

hummingbird-for-pop-up-11.5.21.jpg

I think there likely could be more than one species in these photos. There are a couple of options for the 3649/51 tail color, for example
Black-throated Mango - BirdForum Opus.

Ruby-throats occur to within 100 k of where you were, and as they are migratory, it could easily be an overshoot of one bird for a couple of images.
Niels

I see that it isn't expected at that location, but the feet appear reddish in picture #4, and the bronzy rump along with the overall GISS may support Bronze-tailed Plumeleteer.

Agree that there could be photos of a second bird to confuse things (#2 and #7).

I'll go with that. Itmight be a male bronze plumeater. Do you have plums in yoyr area? ;)

I think this is a male Bronze Plumeater. The female may look more like a female Ruby Throated. Although I do not see a blue or bluish tail in either one.

Please specify male or female when identifying birds.

Attachments

• 1681735736387.jpeg
    1681735736387.jpeg
    4.4 KB · Views: 2
I'll go with that. Itmight be a male bronze plumeater. Do you have plums in yoyr area? ;)

I think this is a male Bronze Plumeater. The female may look more like a female Ruby Throated. Although I do not see a blue or bluish tail in either one.

Please specify male or female when identifying birds.
Yes; plums are widely consumed in the UK

This is a male bronze-tailed plumeleteer. The other unidentified female is most likely a female bronze-tailed plumeleteer although there are some other possibilities. It is definitely not a ruby-throated hummingbird.

The tail reflects light differently according the angle. You can see the distal part of 651 appears bluish. This variation is captured in the Keuleman's illustration of the male's tail (underside) here:

Bronze-tailed plumeleteer - Wikipedia

where he shows the tail as somewhat purple.

Yes; plums are widely consumed in the UK

This is a male bronze-tailed plumeleteer. The other unidentified female is most likely a female bronze-tailed plumeleteer although there are some other possibilities. It is definitely not a ruby-throated hummingbird.

The tail reflects light differently according the angle. You can see the distal part of 651 appears bluish. This variation is captured in the Keuleman's illustration of the male's tail (underside) here:

Bronze-tailed plumeleteer - Wikipedia

where he shows the tail as somewhat purple.
That's truly a beauty. Thanks for the info.

Quick story I'm about half sure you're interested in.
Years ago I used to do Taxidermy. I mounted several HB's that had ran into windows and perrished. I never skinned them. I simply injected them with formaldahyde then ran a long pin through their beak then attaching it to a fake flower. In the dehumidifier for 48 hours is all it took.

Well one I mounted. I called the lady and said it was ready to be picked up. The next morning I came into the shop and it had beeN shredded. My cat sat near by smiling.
So I called the customer and told her the cat ate her humming bird. She didn't belive it. She brought an entire Motor Cycle gang to my shop thretening me. I finally calmed them down and assured them I could have another one ready with in a week. And I did.
BTW It was a female Ruby Throated. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back