• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird, Minca, N Colombia, 20 August 2023 (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Dear all,
This is a bird I photographed at Hotel Minca. I think it is Steely-vented Hummingbird, but I would like confirmation or the opposite. The main contenders are
Shiny-green Hummingbird which I feel should show longer tail (especially outer tail feathers) and probably a different tone to the wing coverts.
Red-billed Emerald which I do not think would show the whitish socks.
So confirmation or not? (I have more photos but all showing essentially the same angle).
thanks
Niels
P1260283.JPGP1260294.JPG

Colour is better for steely vented. Check your other photos: steely vented should show blue cf blackish wings of shining green but this is light dependent. Tail is difficult to judge: seems abraded here.
Also see if you can see the flight feather structure better. They are asymmetric in both species but the tip appears to curve in towards the wider vane in a pronounced way on steely vented from what I can see

I see about the same for these images and the rest: bluish black and similar to the tail feathers for the greater coverts on the wing, where the color should be different between these two areas on Shining green. Looking at the tail feathers from the side (like here) makes it difficult to see if these are abraded.
Niels

Colour is better for steely vented. Check your other photos: steely vented should show blue cf blackish wings of shining green but this is light dependent. Tail is difficult to judge: seems abraded here.
Also see if you can see the flight feather structure better. They are asymmetric in both species but the tip appears to curve in towards the wider vane in a pronounced way on steely vented from what I can see
I could not see any difference between my images in this respect (and I spent a little time with this tonight). The below image has been enlarged to show the wing tips better. If I understand you comment correctly, this is in favor of Steely vented?
Niels

Attachments

• P1260290 enlarged.JPG
    P1260290 enlarged.JPG
    250.1 KB · Views: 4
I could not see any difference between my images in this respect (and I spent a little time with this tonight). The below image has been enlarged to show the wing tips better. If I understand you comment correctly, this is in favor of Steely vented?
Niels
Yes I think so. The attached tries to explain what I meant. The white line shows the path of the rachis which seems to hook around in stelly-vented. We don't really see that in your image, but the feather shape is better for that species I think. (steely-vented on the left, shining-green on the right)
hummerwings.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back