• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird, Texas (1 Viewer)

rylirk

United Kingdom
I know these are pretty hard to ID, but I found this hummingbird today making a 'ticking' noise I hadn't heard from the resident black-chinneds before. I noticed a couple of rufous have been seen nearby in the last few days (according to eBird), so Im wondering could this be a rufous? I don't think I've seen speckling on the neck in female black-chinned before so, if this isnt a rufous, Im wondering if its juvenile black-chinned perhaps?

I have some other pics of the bird at different angles if any particular feature would be of help, but this is by far the best pic I managed.

Today in Lubbock

Attachments

• P1050306 (2).JPG
    P1050306 (2).JPG
    334.4 KB · Views: 31
Here's another couple of photos; both are blurry messes but hopefully they show some useful features :)

Attachments

• P1050301 (2).JPG
    P1050301 (2).JPG
    181 KB · Views: 11
  • P1050305 (2).JPG
    P1050305 (2).JPG
    301.4 KB · Views: 10
I would guess that it is an immature black chinned Hummer, I see no orange on the upper tail on the second photo of second set or under parts near the wings in the first pic.

Whereabouts should there be orange on the bird? I think I saw some orange around the vent at one point (I had much better views than these images would suggest). I did not hear any sound while it was flying even though it was close, so would that rule out rufous as well?

Thanks!

The Rufus should show orange on the upper tail feathers, below the tail coverts. Then on the flanks under the wing down ward, this is some times hard to see. Yes, the lack of sound should rule out Rufus as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back