• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird with yellow throat (1 Viewer)

This past weekend (June 4 & 5) I did some bird photography at Patagonia Lake in southeastern Arizona. On both days a light colored hummingbird with a yellow throat turned up at my feeder. The throat feathers do not appear to be iridescent. I don't know what he/she is. My first thought probably a hybrid, but I have no idea what the parent might be. I don't think it is pollen because of the extensive area of yellow and the general shortage of pollen here due to the extreme dry conditions. Anybody has any ideas?

Last edited:
Hello Dave, and welcome to the forum. Wow, I've never seen a hummingbird with that color gorget. If you can post a jpg attachment in the Bird ID forum hopefully someone will be able to ID him. Looks to be one of the smaller ones we get. The discussion will be interesting.

Hi Dave and a warm welcome to you.

I'm going to move your post to the bird identification section where you will likely get a quick answer ;) I've subscribed you just to this thread so you don't lose track of it. ;)

I thought pollen when I read first read his post, but once I saw the picture I don't see how it can be (probably wrong).

First time I saw the image I thought "that has to be a color mutation". Second time on a different monitor it looked like pollen!

Niels

Dave, hit "go advanced" under the reply box, and scroll down a little bit where there is a button called "manage attachments". The rest should be easy.

Gretchen, Thanks for trying to help me. My problem is the size of the photos. The bytes appear to be OK. Photoshop says my images are now 12 X 8 inches. But, the attachment upload still rejects these photos. I'm looking see if the size requirement is in metric.

I frequently get asked 'what's the hummingbird with yellow on its head?' to which the answer is either, if it's coming to a hummingbird feeder but has a short bill, it's a Verdin (!) or if it looks like the other hummingbirds apart from the yellow, it's pollen. You see it on lots of hummingbirds here, but I've never seen it to that extent. Wow!

Different plants deposit pollen in different places on a hummingbird's head. This is illustrated in the Sibley Guide to Bird Life and Behavior on page 360. In that example, the plant to deposit on the throat was a fuchsia.

As for the ID, female or 'female-type' hummingbirds are genuinely difficult, and that yellow is quite off-putting when trying to look at the bird as a whole. It also obscures the real throat color.

A couple of things stand out immediately. That tail posture, holding it up like that, is pure Black-chinned, which is what I'm going for. Anna's don't typically do that. It is generally pale, has a grayish crown, looks relatively short-tailed, the bill droops slightly and there is only a little white spot behind the eye, all of which point to Black-chinned. The habitat is also more likely for Black-chinned. Anna's isn't as common in that area at that elevation.

On the other hand, the bill isn't as long as I'd expect for Black-chinned, and it looks a little stocky overall. Which leads me to my final guess - I mean answer - a recently fledged juvenile Black-chinned Hummingbird.

Newly fledged hummingbirds can show a noticeably shorter bill than the adults for a week or two. It could also explain the extreme yellow, with a lot of clumsy first attempts at feeding from fuchsias...

Anyway, that's my guess. Where's Sheri? She'll give us the real answer ;)

Last edited:
Finally I have figured out how to adjust the photos. Here are three. Hope they give you a better idea than the PDF. I'm interested in your thoughts.

Last edited:
The unevenness of the yellow as seen on the sitting bird (more on the bird's right than on the bird's left) indicates pollen

Niels

The third photo, I think really shows the pollen and the tail spread shows the three white tips that an Adult Female Black-chinned should have.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back