• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbirds Houston Texas (1 Viewer)

DDolan1075

I am not sure if these are all pictures of the same bird or even if they are the same species. I believe that the first bird (the first two pictures) was called an Allen's and am not sure if the second bird is an Allen's or a Rufous. Would you please help me by telling what I am looking for to differentiate these two species and these two pictures. Thanks

Edit: I got the pictures mixed up and will post a different picture for the second hummer on the next reply. I believe that they are all the same bird.

Attachments

• 110212_12590Williams-Candy_filtered.jpg
    110212_12590Williams-Candy_filtered.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 64
  • 110212_12603Williams-Candy_filtered.jpg
    110212_12603Williams-Candy_filtered.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 110212_12662Williams-Candy_filtered.jpg
    110212_12662Williams-Candy_filtered.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
i think in both of your posts, you're looking at rufous hummers, although Allens are tough to rule out. I'm going on two things that i see: the broad fanned out tail feathers which would be more pin-like in Allens, and the fact that the tail doesn't extend that far past the wing tips on the pearched bird. Someone can probably tell you for sure, but it looks like rufous to me.

of course, now i'm looking at the shots of the perched bird again and thinking otherwise. The tail may be longer than it appears. I wonder if there's anything to be said about the bill. Slightly down curved might suggest Allens.

In my very poor experience, 3 weeks in BC Canada, on first sight I would say male Allen's, but some Rufous also have green backs or at least partial. Its definately one or the other. Probably range is the key, and I would wait until someone with more experience shares their wisdom.

Andy

P:S: brilliant photos by the way

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back