• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbirds with other birds around? (1 Viewer)

crickieheather

Hummer-crazy
I live in a ground floor apartment. Since I live birds and my space is limited, I have two feeders. A sunflower seed feeder (well-visited) and a hummingbird feeder, about 10 feet apart. The hummingbird feeder was moved since last year, but it was well visited as well. The problem is that i don't know if the hummers will come to the feeder now that it's so near another larger bird feeder. Last year, the sunflower feeder wasn't up. Does anyone else have multiple feeders around? Are the hummingbirds still going to come to my feeder with all of the larger birds around?

Hi Crickieheather.

I had 14 feeders up last spring & summer and the humming bird feeders were all in the general vicinity of my other seed feeders and it didn't seem to phase the hummers one bit. In fact I had more hummers than I have ever had before.

Crickieheather,

I agree, you should still have the hummers. They may be a little jumpy when a bird comes close but I doubt if they will avoid the feeder.

Hummingbirds are great! huh?

jneville

I am currently running 29 bird feeders (mix of seed and suet) and 3 hummer feeders. Over the winter I hosted 2 Rufous Hummingbirds, 1 Black-chinned Hummingbird and 1 Ruby-throated Hummingbird. The closest seed feeder to a hummingbird feeder is 3 feet. I will be increasing to 12 hummingbird feeders over the migration.
Mark
Bastrop, TX

I have one hummingbird feeder on a window and two seed feeders maybe 12 feet away (around 2 meters). The other day I witnessed a male Anna's hummingbird harrassing the house finches as the house finches tried to feed. When I fill the seed feeders the hummers will continue to feed on their feeding even though I am there. I don't think the hummers are very much intimidated by anything.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back