• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hybrid duck, Italy (1 Viewer)

maudoc

mau the doc
Italy
Hello everyone.

This bird was seen in these days at Verona, Northern Italy.

I think that this bird is a male and one of its parents is a Red-crested Pochard :smoke::king::king::king:

Red-crested Pochard is now a common bird in Lake Garda (30 Kms W form Verona), this species is a breeder here too.
In our area hybrids Red-crested Pochard x Mallard are known too.

Common Pochard and Tufted Duck are abundant winter species but they are not known as breeding species in Verona. I don't know any area where Tufted Duck and Red- crested Pochard breed together and the only marsh where we have Common Pochard and Red-crested Pochard together is 50 Kms East of Venice.

I have looked for pictures of RC Pochard hybrids but
  • with Tufted Duck is very different: black head with red crest
  • with Common Pochard? I imagine a red-brown neck-head
  • with Mallard? pictures I saw show a different jizz
  • with Ferruginous Duck? why not more brownish?

I don'think it's a Rosy-billed Pochard too (escaped in this case)

What do you think about?

THANK YOU!!!!

Attachments

• ibrido1.jpg
    ibrido1.jpg
    392.8 KB · Views: 147
  • ibrido2.jpg
    ibrido2.jpg
    591.6 KB · Views: 58
  • foto%203.JPG
    foto%203.JPG
    286.8 KB · Views: 58
I am not 100% certain what it is but Mallard x Red Crested Pochard does seem to be a variable hybrid, and there are clearly Mallard present so I wouldn't rule that out.

Stephen

Example of Red-crested Pochard x Mallard here in Verona

Near in colours (except for breast), red is dark, jizz is different...

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    255 KB · Views: 64
My first thought was Tufted x RCP, but photos I can find of that don't seem to have such a red bill and have a "half-tuft" with some reddish streaks in it... possibly could be RCP x Scaup sp?

Or, a really out-there thought... is its bill rather reminiscent of Goosander? :eek:

Edit - I found a German PDF from here: http://birdhybrids.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/red-crested-pochard-x-tufted-duck.html - the RCP x Rosybill ('Peposakaente x Kolbenente') there is very close...
(second edit - I don't seem to be able to attach the PDF but you can download it at the link, relevant photos are on page 26)

Last edited:
My first thought was Tufted x RCP, but photos I can find of that don't seem to have such a red bill and have a "half-tuft" with some reddish streaks in it... possibly could be RCP x Scaup sp?

Or, a really out-there thought... is its bill rather reminiscent of Goosander? :eek:

Edit - I found a German PDF from here: http://birdhybrids.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/red-crested-pochard-x-tufted-duck.html - the RCP x Rosybill ('Peposakaente x Kolbenente') there is very close...
(second edit - I don't seem to be able to attach the PDF but you can download it at the link, relevant photos are on page 26)

Thank You very much!!!

I can confirm the Verona bird is indeed rosybill x red crested pochard, it is similar to the photos I was permitted to use for the publication.
The slightly paler vermiculated shoulder patch and the slightly swollen area at the base of the upper mandible are quite characteristic.

Joern

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back