• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I want to introduce a very interesting wetland in the south of Iran presented to all (1 Viewer)

Seyed Babak Mus

Name: Khure khuran or Hara protected area( Biosphere reserve)
Iucn management category: Iv
Ix
Date of establishment: in 1972 as protected area and then in 1975 as national park, in june 1976 as a biosphere reserve and downgraded to protected area in 1980 and also as International wetland in Ramsar convention

Geographic location: in strait of Khuran Persian gulf, between Qeshm island and the southern Iranian coast, Hormozgan province,26 45 N – 55 40 E
Altitude: 0-173 m
Area: 85686 Ha

Physical features: Much of the reserve is taken up by Mehran Delta wich froms extensive intertidal flats and has a marshy coastline and vast Mangrove formation. There are numerous small islands,creeks and minor estuaries.

Vegetation: The reserve cntainains the largest stand of Avicennia marina mangroves along the Persian coast shoreline.island, the salt plain and adjacent areas consists of open halophyte communities such as Halochnemum, Sueda,….and Scatterd thorn trees and Shrubs includuding Acacia , Prosopis, Ziziphus,……..

Birds: This area is major importance to breeding, wintering and migrant water birds.Many Herons breed, including Great white egret,Western reef heron. Indian pond heron and very interesting bird such as ,Crab plover( Dromas ardeola) and Great ston plover and Indian sand lark, Broad billed sanpiper,,flocks of Dalmation pelican ,Marsh harrier ,. More than 90 species of birds have been recorded in the reserve. I will send my photo of Indian sand lark and Crab plover present to all birders
Your faithfully
Seyed Babak Musavi

Hello Sayed
Welcome to Bird Forum. The site sounds brilliant and Iran would be a country i would love to go to birding sometime. friends of mine drove there in the late 60's (i think) and they always enthused what a wonderful, bird rich country it was. Looking forward to the photos, Crab Plover is great bird managed to catch up with them in the UAE.

I agree with Jules - this sounds like a very interesting area.

I hope that with people like yourself working to protect these important areas, perhaps with help from organisations elsewhere throughout the world, they will soon become popular birding destinations.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back