• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iceland next weekend (1 Viewer)

MacHector

Hi

I have the chance of taking a short birding trip to Iceland next weekend. I'll be looking for Harlequin Ducks and Gyrfalcon. HDs seems fairly straightforward, but any advice about Gyrfalcons would be appreciated. In particular Lake Myvatn seems to be the best place for them, but is there anywhere good a bit closer to Reykjavik? Lake Myvatn quite far a weekend.

Many thanks

Andrew

Hi Andrew
Indeed Harlequin Duck is straightforward in May and can be seen at any number of places in Iceland. Gyr Falcon is a tougher nut to crack and one of the hardest birds to give concrete advice for, especially in the breeding season. It is decidedly rare in summer in southern Iceland. Northern and eastern Iceland are undoubtedly the best places to see them in summer (in Reykjavík and south-west only Oct-March realistically). Mývatn and the Tjörnes peninsula north of Húsavík are good bets but even then there is a good chance of dipping on a short weekend trip. And yes, Mývatn is a long way for a weekend trip, 5-6 hours one way. They do occur elsewhere, but it's a bird you just come across as a matter of luck.

E

When I went some years ago in July, I heard of sightings North and East of Grundavik and North of Eyrarbakki.

The area North / West of Eyrarbakki was worthwile for birding in general.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back