• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID help please, Hainan, China (1 Viewer)

Hainan on the fly

I'm at a loss on this one. Any help would be appreciate.

Thanks,

Brian

Attachments

• unknown2.jpg
    unknown2.jpg
    515.1 KB · Views: 68
  • unknown3.jpg
    unknown3.jpg
    478.8 KB · Views: 56
  • unknown4.jpg
    unknown4.jpg
    454.8 KB · Views: 48
Thanks guys! Always appreciate the help. I'm learning from some locals that this a good record on Hainan. Apparently they were pretty common but are considered rare now.

Last edited:
A local guy that seemed to know what he was talking about told me it was
Dicrurus leucophaeus innexus. This goes a little deeper that my level of understanding with subgroups but thought I would add his comment on the thread.

Thanks again gentleman!

Innexus is the resident breeding subspecies on Hainan, which I've heard is now very rare.

Leucogenis is a migrant subspecies that is widespread in mainland China and is migrating at this time of year (I have heard many reports in HK in the last 10 days, and the wintering bird at my house turned up 2 days ago). I would think that it is very likely that migrants also turn up on Hainan.

Your bird looks very similar to leucogenis, but I am not really sure how to distinguish between innexus and leucogenis. From literature I think innexus should be slightly darker with a less defined cheek patch, but there may be individual variation.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back