• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID needed! Pale form Buzzard? (1 Viewer)

Lee Fairclough

Dead raptor found at Gordano services nr. Bristol, UK.

I think it's maybe a pale form common buzzard, but I'm not very confident making that ID as I've never actually seen a pale form buzzard in the feathers.

It was found by a friend who sent me the pictures, so these are all we have to go on.

Cheers,

Lee.

Attachments

• IMG-20240111-WA0022.jpg
    IMG-20240111-WA0022.jpg
    515.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG-20240111-WA0023.jpg
    IMG-20240111-WA0023.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG-20240111-WA0024.jpg
    IMG-20240111-WA0024.jpg
    490.3 KB · Views: 39
Hello Lee,

welcome to Birdforum!
Yes, the sad bird is a pale Common Buzzard. Similar rarer Rough-legged and Long-legged Buzzards are excluded by uniform distinct barring to the tail and lack of a broad black carpal patch (only a narrow comma shaped bar there).

And yes, I take location into account. There are many helpful threads Herr Witz Buzzards from allover the world Witz expert comments about the difficult ID. Thanks for that from me!

Hello Lee,

welcome to Birdforum!
Yes, the sad bird is a pale Common Buzzard. Similar rarer Rough-legged and Long-legged Buzzards are excluded by uniform distinct barring to the tail and lack oft a broad black carpal patch (only a Barrow comma shaped bar there)
Thank you, Alexander, very much appreciated. It was the lack of any broader bands on the tail that made me think common not rough-legged. But I had no idea that some were this pale. I'd seen some brown-form birds with rather pale fronts, but nothing like this pale overall. Such a pretty bird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back